Author Topic: Jasmine.  (Read 2997 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Jasmine.
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:29:30 »
Can you take cuttings from Jasmine? If so, when and how? Many thanks.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: Jasmine.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:44:16 »
Hi Lorna, found you this ...

The plant flowers from April to September. Jasmine is propagated by cuttings of nearly ripe wood in summer. Cuttings are planted in 3-inch pots within 4 weeks, then to 6-inches when pot is becoming filled with roots. The soil should be kept moist but well drained for optimum growth. Frequent pruning is required to grow it as a shrub of desired size. Pruning also helps keep an abundance of flowers, since flowers are produced on new wood. It grows in full sun to partial shade. Fertilize monthly with a balanced fertilizer.

http://www.iflorist.co.uk/p-1470-jasmine.aspx

... let us know how you get on!!  Flo  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 17:01:43 »
Many thanks Flo. The Jasmine is in my daughters garden, she is going on holiday tomorrow so will ask her to take cutting for me when she returns.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 18:02:10 »
Lorna

I have Jasmine self-seeding in the garden.  Happy to dig you some up next time I spot one if you like?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 18:09:12 »
Or check if any has layered? I've got (and cannot get rid of :() the appropriately named 'Hall's Prolific'....

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 20:08:32 »
Or check if any has layered? I've got (and cannot get rid of :() the appropriately named 'Hall's Prolific'....

Thought that was Honeysuckle ???  ::)  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 19:41:44 »
Duh! :-[

;D

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 19:58:45 »
hey alishka, being cheeky and knowing ur local, i know where u can get rid of some of that honeysuckle  ;D next time u visit shirl and tone id gladly dispose of some for you :)
re the jasmine i take "cuttings" off my neighbours plant thats grown wild over my fence every year and it never gets very big, i suspect we dont have enough light for it, but i can always get it to root, bit gutted as one yr i grew so wild it filled and rooted in the gutters of the conservatory, i asked them if i could go and clean my gutters (would need to be on theyre side of the fence) and they said no theyd do it themselves, darn, couldve had a fab few plants otherwise! was nice of them to clear it tho, they couldve chosen to be aukward, but since ive offered to come and do it myself theyve kept it strangely cleared  :o
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 20:17:08 »
Hiya! Poor misguided soul...you really DON'T want Hall's Prolific, I'm tellin you YOU DON'T!!!!!! But, hey, youngsters of today an all that, you won't be told, will ya....yep I'll  bring some over for you - but remember, I told you so! when you start to compain bout it ;D

I've not arranged with Shirl yet when I'll be over to nick some WR, hope soon,  tho not this w/end,  BUT...today I've been freebied a tray of red cherry tomato plants......you want some? Can keep them alive (shoorly?) for another week....Shirl or Tracey, you want some anorl?

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 21:50:05 »
wheres the excited emoticon when u need it huh?? i shooooore do! lol! yes young n all that lol, but im convinced it may do well in my back garden, it sounds like itd compete with the bladdy ivy weve got that im forver hacking back, at least honeysuckle has nice flowers and looks n smells pwetty :) and yeah sure if u got some tommys going spare, thatd b fab too! have been planting some down the lotty today, not sure what theyre going to be like but im game for a laugh :) would love to get the plot dug over and get to the stage of having stuff to gift out, maybe next yr....if im lucky! oooh you can have some ivy if youd like.....
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 22:06:33 »
Sorry so late answering had a friend visit last evening and have spent today making tea for the workmen and the last 3 hours putting some of the kitchen gear in the new units (then changing my mind as to where I want things) Have got about half done. Oh yes and I cleaned the kitchen rug, I am bushed!!
After that lengthy explanation... yes please Georgie. I do have one that you gave me last year but fancied some more. Many thanks.
Next week I will still be tea girl for the workmen next door as Lorna will be at work.
I sure need that break on 9th June ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 22:43:36 »
Right oh, Lorna.  I'll go on the forage tomorrow and pot any I find up.  At this rate I might need a few more 'Lorna's plants' signs.   ;D   ;D  ;D

G x

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 20:28:06 »
Georgie, just catching up with posts so sorry once again for delay in answering :)
 ;D ;D Would you like different colours on the next sign?? ;D Good job I have an estate car.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 20:33:12 »
Georgie, just catching up with posts so sorry once again for delay in answering :)
 ;D ;D Would you like different colours on the next sign?? ;D Good job I have an estate car.

LOL indeed. It's gone from Lorna's shelf to Lorna's corner now.  Hope my suspension is up to to it.   ;)  ;D

G x

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 20:44:08 »
Doesn't it feel good to make an old lady happy? Looking forward to all my goodies you have been nurturing for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal