Author Topic: Perennial Verbascums  (Read 1218 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Perennial Verbascums
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:49:12 »
Last year I grew a load of Verbascum phoenicum from seed on the understanding that they were perennial types. I planted several of these out a few weeks ago and some have come into flower albeit with much shorter/smaller spikes of flowers than described on the seed packet.  Then I read that very few verbascums are truly perennial so it got me wondering if these really were perennial as described on the seed packet. If instead they are only biennial then the flowers appear to be a bit disapointing

Can anyone tell me more? Biennial or perennial? Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Perennial Verbascums
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 15:08:30 »
I grew some that reappeared the following yr but pulled them out by accident since the rank growing leaf looks very similar to a weed here.  The color was an unexciting mauve so not much loss. They seem to survive along our hot dry roadways though.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Perennial Verbascums
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 10:45:51 »
Oh I quite like the colour. Fits the cottagey style and colours of my garden well. I was just expecting more . Seed packet said 90cms tall, yet mine are a very weedy 30 - 40 at best.

I grew loads though so will probably just dot them around like bedding/annuals and see what happens.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal