Author Topic: When to uncover dahlias?  (Read 3531 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
When to uncover dahlias?
« on: March 16, 2008, 20:07:31 »
Can anyone give any advice please on the right time to take the ground sheet off where the dahlias are in the ground? Thanks.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: When to uncover dahlias?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 21:37:03 »
   It really depends on where you live but I am in Kent and for the past few winters we have not covered our dahlias during the winter. The frost has not got down deep enough to do any damage.The only problem leaving dahlias in the ground is when the slugs start to eat them as they come through.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 18:11:36 »
Ah, didn't even think of the slugs eating the shoots... I lost a few plants last year, even though they were fresh in the ground from the shop, but the tips were eaten and that was that. I hope they'll be ok then, I've got over 40 tubers under cover, I'd be really sad to see them go.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 01:45:04 »
They really should be fine if you planted them deeply enough - I've had some dahlias coming up for years with no protection in spite of the fact that I'm in N. Yorks. The type of soil (must be well-drained) seems more important than the temperatures.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 08:05:36 »
I have grown Dahlias from seed.  They are about an inch tall now in the green house.

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but when do I plant them out in the garden, and do they need hardening off :)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:09:00 »
I agree Rosa Mundi, I reckon mine would be ok even with a frost because they're quite far down and have already flowered last year. It's just the drainage I'm concerned about, being on heavy clay and a site that is prone to water-logging, albeit my plot does not generally get any flooding because it's on a slight incline. So back to the question (and I'm in Harrow, London), what month should I take the cover off? Is now too soon? The sheeting is waterproof to help stop them rotting, but I can't remember when it is they put tips up.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:11:52 »
Springbokgirl, I'm no expert, but I think you'd be better off waiting a while before putting a very young dahlia out. When I've grown from seed, it's very noticeable how slugs prefer them to established plants from tubers... so maybe wait until the weather warms up considerably, and put round some copper rings or something to stop the slugs. If it were me, I'd probably wait until the end of April, but I could be waaay out! Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pass this way.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 10:19:32 »
I plant out my seedlings  the same time as my toms, ( very end of May)I will have hardend them off first, we can get frosts here end of May,the dahlias will soon romp away.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:39:49 »
when do I plant them out in the garden, and do they need hardening off

Everything grown under cover will need hardening off before being tossed out into the big wide world to look after themselves. It's not just the acclimatization to temperature but also strengthening of the leaves and stems to the forces of wind and rain.

As for your seedling dahlia, I would pot them up individually in small pots and keep them inside until they grow into nice plants. One frost will kill them off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal