Author Topic: please identify these plants  (Read 3397 times)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: please identify these plants
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 01:45:43 »
If you deadhead them the foliage will die off within a fortnight - they get most of the energy into the bulbs before they flower. The bulbs are almost unkillable, so don't worry too much whenever you dig them up, although after flowering is best. I would plant them straight away upon receipt - don't store them until autumn.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 08:28:16 »
These may well be some sort of bluebell, but until they actually flower, there is no way of distinguishing between native and  Spanish ones. Native blubells are always blue, never pink and the flowers are only on one side of the stem, Spanish ones have flowers all round the stem and may be any colour from pure blue to washed out pink. Hybrids may have a combination of these signs. There are other signs too, but these are the important ones.
Bluebells (Latin names have changed rather too often to keep up with) have 'naked' bulbs.  (Tulips and Narcissus have tunics) This is why they do not store that well dry. Also the depth of the bulb below ground can be staggering. We have gone down over 12 inches to try to eradicate some Spanish ones, so be warned.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 08:40:26 »
No more digging up our native English bluebells from the countryside, tho....think that had a ban put on it a few years ago? Jeannine, if you REALLY want Spanish thugs, you've had your offers ::)......

If, however, you'd like to stay true to your roots ;) I can send you some English 'bells from my garden 8).....

Lishka X

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 09:41:47 »
I think the foliage of the native bluebell is much finer than the spanish one, by which I mean narrower leaves and more delicate looking. Less vigourous growing too. Thats why the spanish ones are such a problem, they are far more sucessfull and grow in more places than the british bluebell.

Strange i thought the big 'weed' in the background looked like either a young artichoke or a young cardoon! Now i look again I can see it is probably a dandelion or one of its close relatives.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 14:54:32 »
Which part of the country are you from Valmarg? I have bluebells coming up about the same size as the pics, mine are in the open a bit like Debsters. Maybe that makes a difference to the growth rate and wether you're north or south?

North Staffs, Alton (as in Towers). Star.

It certainly makes a difference how far north/south you are.  We used to travel to Chelsea Flower Show, and compared with here they were about a month to six weeks in advance.

I thought the leaves were a bit thicker than bluebell, and I thought they might be more like a species tulip I have in the garden.

Anyway, I await the pictures of the flowers with interest.

valmarg

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 15:04:05 »
You may well be right, I wait with anticipation to see it in flower too :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal