Author Topic: Mayan Gold potatoes  (Read 1943 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Mayan Gold potatoes
« on: March 17, 2008, 11:33:27 »
I have four different types of potatoes on egg boxes.  They all have lovely green shoots apart from the Mayan Gold yet they all started off at the same time.  The Mayan's show no signs of chitting and have turned very green.  Do you think if I put them in the dark it might hurry them on? 

Your thoughts on this matter will be much appreciated. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 11:35:11 by Paulines7 »

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Mayan Gold potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:37:12 »
Mine are in daylight and chitted straight away. Where did you get yours from?

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:47:27 »
I bought them from Tesco!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 13:04:03 »
Mine are in indirect light and have just started chitting (bearing in mind what they cost, they are going to have to taste exceptionally good)

I've heard some supermarket potatoes are treated to inhibit chitting / prolong shelf life.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 14:35:38 »
Brnowl is right I'm afraid. By the time they start chitting it will probably be too late.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 15:10:02 »
I planted some supermarket Vivaldi (without chitting) in a container in October and the haulms took until the end of January to appear. Don't know if that was because they were treated or because of the temperatures.

My attitude is that for maincrop potatoes if it's time for them to go in put them in whether they've started to chit or not (Hasn't it been shown that for maincrop potatoes chitting makes little difference to the eventual harvest?).

But I instinctively don't like the sound of them having gone 'very green' (I've never planted green potatoes) but don't know enough to comment.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 19:14:37 »
Our Mayan Gold are chitting happily. The shoots are spikier than normal, but all seem OK.  We got 5 from T&M and 5 from the Whitchurch potato fair in January, but they're all mixed up now, so we won't be able to compare.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:42:24 »
From what I remember from last year, my Mayan Gold didn't chit much then either. Still had a lovely crop though, and I would have grown some more this year if I could have got some from Ryton (their stock didn't turn up on the Potato Day) as I was determined not to order from T&M after last years delivery debacle. So I'm trying Yukon Gold instead this year, it will be interesting to see how they compare.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 10:45:15 »
Sadly I found Yukon Gold unremarkeable last year Deb. The flesh wasn't at all yellow.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 13:58:04 »
Oh no! :'( That does not sound at all promising.... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 14:19:22 »
I've heard some supermarket potatoes are treated to inhibit chitting / prolong shelf life.

I am going to give mine a good wash in warm water and hope that if they have been treated with something, it will wash off.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!   ;D ;D

Right, I have done that with ¾ of them and have covered the other ¼ with a dark towel.  Hopefully something will start to happen.  I know they are quite a late potato but I would have thought they should start chitting soon.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 14:33:28 by Paulines7 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal