Author Topic: Big blue plastic containers  (Read 1118 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Big blue plastic containers
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:08:28 »
Can someone remind me where to get these from, as I'd like to try growing carrots in one this year, as seen in Big Dig.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Big blue plastic containers
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 20:23:49 »
Food manufacturing factories, eg sauces thats all I am familiar with. I found some on a derelict site a few years ago. When i  got them home i read "Hazardous material" on the side, so do be careful. We had to take them to the tip.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 20:27:57 »
patak's in wigan will give them away, providing you can pick them up, maybe a sauce factory nearer to you ?  :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 04:07:13 »
allegedly places that wash cars, trucks, vans etc use them for detergent so may be worth trying there just rinse well

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:26:40 »
Can someone remind me where to get these from, as I'd like to try growing carrots in one this year, as seen in Big Dig.
I used the 205ltr plastic drum to grow my carrots in last year, it worked an absolute treat, 4 or 5 bags of compost, drainage holes drilled in the bottom, and big cobbles to to assist the drainage, and i got long and straight tasty carrots, and not a blemish on them. I'll be doing the same this year. Good luck.  :)
Thas a rummun !!

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:34:29 »
Last year I grew carrots in those black plastic buckets from the florist, kept in the lottie greenhouse.  They weren't huge, but they were very nice.
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 10:42:31 »
Hi all, last year I grew  my carrots in old fibreglass baths that a builder was throwing out.  I left the plug out for drainage and they grew well. I also have 4 baths with plugs in catching water as we dont have mains water. (at the moment I have a surplus of water it dilutes very well  :) regards  Gruesome
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal