Author Topic: Growing Petunias  (Read 1523 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Growing Petunias
« on: March 02, 2008, 17:58:41 »
Hi,

I thought I'd have a go at growing petunias from seed this year, and while I've done what the packet says with keeping them warm to germinate, now they look slightly leggy. The problem mainly is that they are so small, the seeds were the smallest I'd ever seen and had to use a moistened cocktail stick to sow them! Anyway, they've sprouted in much the same way, with tiiiinny leaves (just two, none true yet) and a reasonably long, very thin stem. I can't see it possible to transplant them at this stage, and putting them outside in a cold greenhouse might be too much for them. I'm a bit stuck with this one. Please can someone help?!
Many thanks.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Growing Petunias
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:40:54 »
I would transplant them very very carefully, using that cocktail stick again to gentle remove them and put them into a small pot, you could easily put quite a few into a 4" pot and grow them on in the same place as before. This way you can plant them a bit deeper and get rid of the legginess.  :)

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:15:57 »
Hi, CC, i watched a gardener's world programme on UKtv the other night with geoff hamiltom, he said to place some tin foil behind the seed tray when growing plants to allow them reflect light, this gives them light all around the plant (and somebody on here was saying the same)
he also said, place the tray, when seeds has germinate, into a box which has been painted white inside and has a clear plastic lid to keep heat in,  ;) it can be used as a propagator, inside a cold green house,

hope this helps
windy
my allotment
heaven

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 14:47:06 »
The problem mainly is that they are so small, the seeds were the smallest I'd ever seen and had to use a moistened cocktail stick to sow them!

Have a look in here on how to sow 'dust like' seeds in future; http://tinyurl.com/yy5xkl

they've sprouted -  tiny leaves (just two, none true yet) - and a reasonably long, very thin stem - I can't see it possible to transplant them at this stage,  -  and putting them outside in a cold greenhouse might be too much for them - I'm a bit stuck with this one.

I think you will find your answers here; http://tinyurl.com/yok2g8

I have planned on sowing mine tomorrow!

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 21:52:39 »
Many thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, my apologies, I've been away from the computer for some time. Interesting tips, looks like I'll be starting again though, they didn't like it when I neglected them and they dried out. You'd have thought a bit of sun would be nice this time of year... oops. At least I've got tips for next time! Thanks again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal