Author Topic: pecking order  (Read 1493 times)

Tohellwithweeds

• Half Acre
pecking order
« on: March 13, 2008, 16:57:59 »
i was just wondering how long it takes for a new hen to be accepted as flo is being pecked by gert and i dont like to see it and should i stop gert from bullying flo???
Link To My Pictures
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/ToHellWithWeeds/?mediafilter=images

Philbasford

• Acre
Re: pecking order
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 17:15:04 »
How longs a piece of string?, all girls will be different
my three naughty lovelies took about a week to sort themselves out last year, but every now and then they still peck and i do tell them of from time to time.  If its  serious intervine otherwise just let them sort themsleves out

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 21:18:20 »
Give them time. A few days will be fine. Ensure you have more than one feeding and drinking area so she does not go without.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 11:06:38 »
We introduced two new chickens in the summer.  it took about two weeks to sort themselves out.  it was awful to watch.  i would agree do not intervene unless absolutly necessary.  i actually treated mine a bit like my cats - evertime beryl (she is the top dog) bullied the others i squirted her with water - not sure if it helped or not but she backed off.  they are all happy as larry now!

just bear with it and they will be fine.  nb if you see blood pull her out straight away......put her in a box where the others can see her and she can heal and then introduce her back.

gill x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal