Author Topic: Help with dog and flower bed needed!  (Read 1558 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Help with dog and flower bed needed!
« on: March 13, 2008, 17:07:28 »
My back garden is mainly concrete slabs on 3 levels.  The previous owner basically put flower beds in between 2 small walls.  They're essentially only about 6 inches wide and about 10ft long, but they're the only bit I have to plant in.  Unfortunately my delightful springer Ruby also likes them and refuses to do her mess anywhere else apart from on my plants or the soil.  I've tried making a separate area for her filled with sand/soil, I've put orange peel in the beds (she eats it), I've stuck small garden canes in strategic spots (she just lifts her bum higher!) and I've sprayed the walls with diluted jeyes fluid (kept the cats off).  I am at a loss as to what to do with it now and it's driving me nuts!  This has been going on for 2 years now.

Does anyone know of any plants that dogs really don't like the smell of??!!

Any help gratefully received!   ???
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Re: Help with dog and flower bed needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 18:51:53 »
Anyone?? Anything?? Or am I doomed to live in a flowerless concrete jungle?! lol

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 18:54:40 »
Hows this, its a herb that dogs hate :D

AME: Dog Bane (Plectranthus ornatus)

DESCRIPTION: Dog Bane is a lax perennial to around 40 cm tall with succulent stems and rounded, finely toothed leaves covered with fine hairs. Flowers are blue-mauve and encased in attractive white to bluish bracts. Click to see a picture.
The plant has a strong odour that many dogs find particularly unpleasant and they will avoid the plant.

ORIGIN: East Africa

CULTIVATION: Dog Bane grows easily in a sunny, well-drained position in a frost-free location. It is tolerant of dry conditions. Plants can easily be propagated from cuttings. Dog Bane is marketed in Australia under the name Dog Gone. Trim back after flowering to maintain a bushy habit.

USES: Dog Bane is used as a repellent, especially against dogs, but it can also be made into a spray and used as a general repellent and as a masking agent.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 22:58:05 »
Springbok you're a gem!  I knew there had to be one out there somewhere!  Thank you!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal