Author Topic: Seed potatoes  (Read 831 times)

Lee Marshall

• Not So New ...
Seed potatoes
« on: March 12, 2008, 19:52:41 »
I am going to ask a question for which I will probably be laughed at but here goes.

Has anyone planted normal spuds out of a supermarket bag and if so with what kind of success.

I hear alot about seed potatoes being virus free etc etc but they still get problems so how do normal spuds perform?

PS Don't be shy cos I know some of you must have at least been tempted when that bag full has chitted nicely in the larder.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 20:08:38 »
Nothing wrong with the crop from shop spuds, but there IS wrong in POSSIBLY spreading disease from uncertified seed.

Your neighbours may not love you.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 20:09:55 »
in the bad old days when we had only a back garden and 3 kids to feed, I've grown spuds from peelings..I've grown some from supermarket ones, in bags..not a good return, I'm afraid  :)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 20:41:17 »
this has come up before and been frowned upon search the forum for info

some allotment societies would possibly terminate your contract if you planted supermarket spuds such is the risk of disease to everyones plot not just yours.  does make you wonder if growing spuds is worth it when a 25kg sack in a supermarket cost £3

Lee Marshall

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 20:44:30 »
My plot has never been cultivated for 3 years but is full of spuds..I am digging up dozens of sprouting spuds that must have come from seed potatoes 3 or 4 years ago....they have lost their certification after the initial planting.

wiltshire lass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 21:49:44 »
we moved in to this house last april so were very late with veg.
we used a bag from sainburys we didnt really expect nothing from it but i would say when it diod come to eating them they were lovely.this year as we had time i brought some.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 23:41:36 »
And what diseases are they? Just asking..
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal