Author Topic: Can you make top soil?  (Read 829 times)

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
Can you make top soil?
« on: March 11, 2008, 18:26:16 »
Hi I have been digging over my allotment. It has loads of bricks, weeds, wood loads of household rubbish. I have been raking it into big piles and then shovelling it through a sieve into a pot. The soil is coming out really dark and looks a bit like top soil that I have seen in the nurseries. Have I made top soil? I am goint to put together my raised beds tomorrow. They are all marked out and all I have to do is put together. I am loving this, it was a windy rainy day and I ache but it is fantastic! Thanks for all the previous advise it really helped.
Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scolb.
A windy day is not the day to be fixing your thatch (roof).

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Can you make top soil?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 18:35:48 »
The stuff you are getting is probably top-soil... only really the sub soil weathered and with lots of Humus in it ( Decomposed plant material). Wormeries produce very high quality "soil" and if Moles are a problem in the locality their "hills" are a great source of top quality soil...
 :)

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 18:57:19 »
Thanks for that I have seen a few mole hills around as well. So can I use the soil for planting or do I still need to get top soil? Also do I need to put manure or chicken manure in my beds?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 20:19:43 »
Moles are pretty fussy about where they live, and the hills should give you top quality topsoil.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 15:37:56 »
if you use the search function (click search button at top of window) you will see lots of threads about whether or not to manure. If you want to do it, hurry up so it rots down before you start the spring planting...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 15:48:42 »
Thanks antipodes I will do that

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal