Author Topic: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle  (Read 1504 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:51:14 »
Have just read this book - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver - about a family's first year of trying to live off the land and only buying locally sourced products. They do live in America, but a lot of it is relevant to us and there are some interesting facts and recipes thrown in as well.
Quite a long read, but I enjoyed it!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:11:20 »
Fair play to them, its hard work. I know how hard because I have friends in this country doing just that, they are upgrading to a yurt this year ;D. (There are a great many more in England doing exactly the same)

They grow their own and will only buy from local small farms and producers. They are off grid as well and carry water. They absolutely love the freedom..........they certainly have 'powered down'

If I was younger I would join them, I ache too much these days and have other health problems that would make me moan even more than I do now. :D

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 16:45:24 »
star you must expect a few aches and pains given your age (195?)  :)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 16:54:36 »
Ah you noticed...............my real age is 21 plus VAT ;D ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 20:49:44 »
I read this book last Summer and I agree that it's very good. The details about food miles used in America by transporting food from California makes you think. We are probably worse with our french beans being flown in from Zimbabwe etc.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:32:21 »
Just bought the hardback version of the book on Amazon, in the "new and used" section - for £1.24 + postage, looking forward to a good read.

Kathi
Kathi :-)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 10:07:07 »
I agree, it's an excellent book, full of thought-provoking stuff about the globalised food business and how to bypass it - and it's quite warm and witty too.

Cheers,
Rob ;)

ps. her novel 'The Poisonwood Bible' is absolutely superb too.
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal