Author Topic: Glyphosphate  (Read 5110 times)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Glyphosphate
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 13:07:17 »
To get rid of bindweed push a stick / bamboo in next to it and train it up the stick. When there's enough vine on the stick, put on a marigold / rubber glove and cover it with an old sock. Soak the sock in a strong solution of glyphosate and rub it onto the bindweed. This is more effective than spraying and avoids endangering any nearby plants.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 13:37:45 »
Oh what are great idea...Thank-You. I have lots of odd socks. Funny how you put socks in the washing machine in pairs and out come odd numbers. I have never worked that one out  ???
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 14:05:16 »
THEGOODLIFE

For your information PAULW has done a MAAF spraying course therefore I am well in order with what I said

Would it be advisable to apply a second coat after I have turned the ground over 
IS WHAT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH, WHY SPRAY THE GROUND WHEN YOU HAVE TURNED IT OVER
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 14:08:38 by PAULW »

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 14:27:34 »
I think we just have a small misunderstanding here. As PAULW says (rather loudly) a second spraying is not worthwhile if one has just turned the soil over.

One would  have to be prepared to wait until weeds reappeared and were a reasonable size for a second dose to be worthwhile and would probably therefore miss the planting window for several mainstream crops.

GazFoz, may I suggest you turn the ground over with a fork, pulling out any obvious weed roots as you go, then cover with weed suppressant fabric (the type that lets water through) and plant the spuds through it ?  The spuds will themselves help keep the weeds down.

For more detail on this method of spud growing  you'll need a more informed brain than mine.

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 19:05:08 »
One last time,

Paulw. I do not want to spray the ground ever never ever.
I stupidly thought that as the ground had not been cultivated or covered for several years thare would be millions of weed seeds and roots just waiting for the opportunity to germinate / regrow from roots that I have chopped up by cultivating the soil.
I am not irresponsible, I just want to do this thing (now that I have taken it on) to the best of my ability.
I was considering leaving all these millions of potential weeds to germinate and then blast them a final time with the Glyphos , rather than having a load of crops in amongst a load of weeds because I haven't taken the trouble to get the plot under control and want quick results.

The matter is now closed.

Gary.

DAVIESFOZZIE

• Not So New ...
    • daviesfozzie
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 20:39:34 »
don't use chemicals at all i have a new allotment plot overgrown dig out cooch grass etc pull out roots by hand use a pick axe some such as brambles have very dep roots but the hard work not only benefits the ground but your health 

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 23:52:22 »
Many Thanks ::)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 17:23:58 »
My 2p worth...I asked a similar question a few weeks back having given my couch grass a good dosing of Glyphosphate and nothing happened for a week.  So I gave it another go over.  A week later all the couch grass was deaded.  The second going over probably wasn't needed as the bit down the end that I only sprayed the first time had also died by then (just me being impatient).

I'd have prefered to weed it all by hand rather than use chemicals but when time is short and you've knackered your back you have to get along best you can.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal