Author Topic: Garden Tips :)  (Read 2267 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Garden Tips :)
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:58:37 »
Ants
Tempt them with a sprinkling of sugar. When they start taking the sugar back to the nest mix one part sugar with one part Borax crystals. The queen ant will be fed this fatal ingredient.

Cats
Stop cats using your flower beds as a toilet - spray tea bags (either new or used) with Ralgex (Deep Heat). Bury the teabags just below the surface of the soil - when the cat disturbs them they will give off the scent of the spray - which cats can not stand. In time the tea bags will break down and nourish the soil.

Dogs
Dog pee kills grass - twice a day put one tablespoon of tomato juice in with your dogs food. The harmful acid in the pee is neutralised, which means that the grass is not killed. (This does not harm the dog!)

Moles
Mix ferret or badger dung with a little water, to form a paste. Paint this in the mole runs and they'll soon move on. (Ferrets and badgers are natural predators.)

Slugs and Snails
Tempt them away from plants with the skins of oranges and grapefruits.
Spray WD-40 on pots - they don't like crawling through it!
Put mineral felt roofing material around plants, slugs and snails do not like crawling over it to get to the plant.

Birds Nests
Put Shredded Wheat out for the birds - they use it to build their nests.

Cut Flowers
If tulips droop (due to bubbles inside the stem) prick the stem with a pin, just below the flower. They will straighten up within a few hours.
Put cut flowers into flat lemonade rather than water, they will last much longer.

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Garden Tips :)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 16:15:35 »
Birds Nests
Put Shredded Wheat out for the birds - they use it to build their nests.

awwwwwww :-*

The pin in the stem of the tulip's a good one. Works a treat.  8)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 16:50:11 »
Out of interest - if I did have moles, where on earth would I get ferret or badger dung from?!!!!!

Tatiana

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 16:52:45 »
I might try the tea bag trick - my neighbour's cat seems to think my little flower bed and patch of lawn are its personal toilet  >:(

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 18:10:19 »
You could always get your male friends to pay a calll after dark on the spot ... now that will put off a cat!!

... easier than looking for Lion poo   ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Tatiana

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 18:25:39 »
 :o

well they're already paying my compost heap a visit once in a while so I might just suggest it !  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal