Author Topic: Gutted  (Read 1511 times)

wiltshire lass

• Quarter Acre
Gutted
« on: March 11, 2008, 01:57:26 »
At the beginning of Jan my cat came in with bite marks on her neck and ears.The marks got infected so of to the vet we went.
where we found out she was pregnant.We had a idea she might be and were really pleased when it was confirmed.
She was around 4 weeks when the vet had seen her.so we worked out the due date to be march the 6th.
Because of the infection on here neck she had three visits to the vets ,each time the vet also checked the pregnancy which was fine.
first time ever that i had had a pregnant cat so did a lot of reading up and emptied out a cupboard under the stairs for her and the kittens when they were born ,in the last week we put plenty of nest boxes around the house.
She is a small cat and the vet had said that it wasn't unusual that you would only really see that she was pregnant in the last week .
she never got bigger and being so late we took her to the vets today and was told she had absorbed the kittens.
I had never heard of this but am gutted.
On the plus side the vet did say that she could go on and have a litter perfectly normal.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Gutted
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 13:27:54 »
nature's wierd, isn't it, poor little soul, maybe next time, you, and the cat, will be readier for the kits  ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Gutted
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 12:47:35 »
Nature is certainly weird, its possible the kits would have been stillborn (with mum having an infection etc) I have heard of absorption before.

Its like when a mother animal rejects one of her brood, they usually look fine to us, if only a little weak. Nature only deals with the fit and strong. There is no time to care for weaklings at the expense of the whole litter.

Its harsh, but it is very effective at keeping a healthy herd, pack (or for felines) solitary hunter. She will be much better able to have a litter when she is in peak condition herself.

;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal