Author Topic: Potted Potatoes  (Read 1390 times)

Iain D

• Not So New ...
  • I do like to be beside the seaside - mostly!
Potted Potatoes
« on: July 15, 2004, 20:38:10 »
Hi All

I've grown potatoes in tubs for the first time (the first time I've grown potatoes at all in fact) and the two pots of earlies are ready. I've already had a couple of pickings and they've been terrific but I'm not sure whether I should leave the rest in the pots till I need them or fork them all out and store them somewhere. I've cut off the haulms. If the answer is store, how should I store them? Sorry if this is really basic but I'm totally new to veg growing. Admittedly there aren't that many in there but I've also got two lots of Pink Fir Apple to come later.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks, Iain

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Potted Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 06:26:14 »
Pity you cut the haulms off - 'spose you had to? You need a system where you can just take the pots without disturbance.

So now - I would let them be - they'll taste better straight from the soil. = Tim

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 08:41:38 »
Have you tried growing them in used compost bags Iain?I have to grow mine in this way as havent enough room otherwise.I use the large compost bags put plenty of holes in the bottom and earth up as and when required .When they are ready you can cut the plastic and take as needed(make sure the others have a covering of earth of course.)I usually get quite a good yield this way.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Iain D

• Not So New ...
  • I do like to be beside the seaside - mostly!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 16:39:21 »
Thanks guys.

Tim - I feel very foolish now. I'm not very sure why I cut off the haulms. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that once they turned yellow and flopped, you could! Guess I should have checked on that before I did. I'll remember next time though.

BB - I saw a piece on Gardener's World about growing them in compost bags and it's good to hear that it works. I might think about that for next year.

I reckon a few more meals (not to mention gifts to friends and relatives) and they'll only last another few days anyway  :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 19:01:56 »
Iain - NOT foolish. If they had yellowed - yes, chop them. But why did they yellow so soon?? - ? = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal