Author Topic: Seed sowing  (Read 1388 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Seed sowing
« on: March 10, 2008, 17:33:39 »
I have been sowing a few seeds today and noticed how many different types of containers and methods I use.

I thought I would photograph them and supplement the seed sowing info on my website.

They are here if anyone want to look; http://tinyurl.com/yv8u2f

Edit;

oops! I have put it in the wrong forum I meant to put it in the 'under glass' forum.

Could someone move it for me please!.....  TG
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 17:36:08 by Tee Gee »

debster

• Hectare
Re: Seed sowing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 21:09:47 »
Tee Gee I love your slide shows they are so educational for someone like me, thank you.
one question do you always water your trays etc before sowing cos i never quite know whether to do it before or after sowing

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 21:21:35 »
Agree with debster. I asked TeeGee a question by PM today and got a reply by return.

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:53:38 »
Many thanks Tee Gee - for this and the other slideshows. They are really helpful for those like me who aren't always sure what they are doing!!    :)

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:41:27 »
thanks tee gee, I too like to see your clips.
leads me to ask a couple of questions tho!

Why do you mix some seeds with silver sand?
and
Why do you put vermiculite on some seeds?
and
how do you know which seed to cover with compost/vemiculite and which do not?

Sorry Tee Gee ........ Still learning

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 14:26:24 »
do you always water your trays etc before sowing cos i never quite know whether to do it before or after sowing

Yes! For seed, No for cuttings!

The reason I water first is the water sometimes washes the seed in to little clusters which is something I don't want, more so if I have meticulously laid them out individually.

Although I have not been asked why do I lay them out like this? it helps with pricking out and it helps to keep seedling roots tangling with each other.

Why do you mix some seeds with silver sand?

When sowing seed that are dust size you usually can't see if you have spread them evenly whereas you can see the sand.

Why do you put vermiculite on some seeds?

Some seeds require light to germinate and covering with vermiculite still allows light through.

Then you ask why cover?

You may never have noticed but when a surface sown seed germinates the tap root can lift the seed off the surface. The vermiculite is just heavy enough to hold the seed in place until it gets a hold in the compost, plus the vermiculite acts as an insulating blanket and keeps the seed just a bit warmer which in turn assists germination.

how do you know which seed to cover with compost/vemiculite and which do not?

Normally this information is on the seed packet! i.e. to cover or not to cover!

To add to the above information have a read of this page on my website; http://tinyurl.com/yy5xkl

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal