Author Topic: Photo sorting  (Read 3654 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Photo sorting
« on: March 09, 2008, 21:09:30 »
I have a hug number of photos (10 gis worth) which I wish to sort by the date on which they were taken. Anyone any idea how to do this. Info is found in the RAW data. And no I do not want to know how to saye them or back them up or anthing else. I know all that stuff already  ;D
Gardening is the great leveller.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Photo sorting
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 09:24:56 »
This might work: using Windows Explorer select the detail list view

[attachment=1]

then right click on any of the column headings. This should produce a list of the columns you can display including creation date.

[attachment=2]

Left click on Creation Date to add it to the displayed columns. Once you have that column you can left click as usual on the column heading to sort by that field.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 09:30:42 »
Please ignore previous advice  ???

Sorry. Creation date will be useless if you have copied files from place to place and I've just noticed that one of the columns in Detail View is 'Date Picture Taken'.  Either that or column or Date Modified seem much more accurate than creation date which seems just to reflect the date on which the file was created on the disc.

[attachment=1]

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:33:55 by Barnowl »

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:39:53 »
Barnowl,

The only columns I can see in Win Explorer are Name - Size - Type - Modified

I am running Win 98 SE (old and a bit clunky but we have become good friends, I love it  ;D) are the detail views you describe not availabe in my Windows version ?  (like 'date picture taken)

A piece of Shareware which I am finding very useful is Attribute Magic Pro ver 2.3 Beta 4  http://www.attributemagic.com
This web address was given to be in response to a query I posted on a USA Digital Camera Newsgroup Forum.

It is really 'neat' but a bit tricky to learn (Computer whizz I am not  ;D)
this software allows dates and times to be modified within the actual digital picture data file.

I had a problem with my camera date/time settings changing when I changed memory cards, AM Pro allowed me to correct these errors.

North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:54:03 »
I'm using XP Pro. I have noticed that some of the columns are only available when you select a folder with images in it.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 11:37:58 »
If it's just a 'sort by date' you're after, Eric....

'My Pic's'....Open a folder.

Click 'Details' in the 'views' icon.

Click 'Date Picture Taken.'.....(OR...if you prefer; 'Date Modified')

That will put your pic's in date taken order (or modified order.)

Ken.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 16:02:13 »
The trouble is that the Windows way sorts them out in to DAy/Month/Year so 01/01/2004 comes first as expected   followed by 01/02/05 and so on, until 01/01/08 then it goes to 02/01/04 and on tp 02/01/08 and so on. It does not sort them into YEAR/Month Day which is what I need.
I need to find a way of sortng the pics so that two of the same one come up together so that I can delete one of them to end up with just one copy of each photo in this place.

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 17:50:39 »
It does not sort them into YEAR/Month Day which is what I need.
I need to find a way of sortng the pics so that two of the same one come up together so that I can delete one of them to end up with just one copy of each photo in this place.

Pal,

I am only familiar with Windows 98 SE, changing the way dates appear and sort is easy in Win 98

Go to Control Panel
Global Settings
Choose UK
select date from dropdown tab
choose year/month day
click 'apply' and Bobs your Aunties husband.

I am puzzled by your comment, quoted above. I always understood that Windows would not allow a duplicate file name within a specific Directory ?

I have some pic files with duplicate file names but taken at different times/dates and different subjects, I store them in seperate directories and there is no problem, however if I accidently try to move a copy to a directory where this name exists e.g. DSCN1234.jpg a warning comes up that 'File exists - do you wish to overwrite ?'.

North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 19:34:24 »
I go with Mikey.
My Win Ex Pro is set-up to sort by year/month/day.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 20:37:32 »
Now that is the answer I wanted Mikey. Now I have them in reverse order, but at least where there are two pics with different names but which are the same, they are next to each other.
Thank-you.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 20:40:28 »
If they're in reverse order, Eric, just click the 'Date pic Taken' again and it will reverse to earlier dates. A click again will revert to later date.
Ken.

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 14:12:20 »
Have you tried the free Google Picasa for sorting your images?

I highly recommend it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal