Author Topic: Cordon apple trees  (Read 1011 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Cordon apple trees
« on: March 09, 2008, 13:18:42 »
I got 2 (James Grieve and Rev J Wilks) from Blackmoor and they are in good condition and have planted them.
should they be pruned ?
Also do I need to remove all the blossom in may which is what all the books suggest ?
I might leave just one flower to get one apple.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Cordon apple trees
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 13:43:21 »
Prune them in the autumn. Don't let them fruit too soon; if the plant uses up too much energy producing fruit, it won't grow, and the priority for the first couple of years is to allow it to establish itself. Don't let them fruit this year, and only one apple each next. After that, they should hopefully be well away.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 15:10:07 »
Prune them in the autumn. Don't let them fruit too soon; if the plant uses up too much energy producing fruit, it won't grow, and the priority for the first couple of years is to allow it to establish itself. Don't let them fruit this year, and only one apple each next. After that, they should hopefully be well away.
Even next year ?  That is a shame I was hoping for apples soon.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 18:12:38 »
Give them plenty of time, and you won't regret it. Fruiting takes a lot of energy out of the tree, and if it's not there for growth while the tree is small, you'll regret it in the long run.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:30:00 »
Give them plenty of time, and you won't regret it. Fruiting takes a lot of energy out of the tree, and if it's not there for growth while the tree is small, you'll regret it in the long run.

I have 2 M26 and 2 M27 (in pots) trees which I planted last year.  I guess the same is true for the M26 as well ?  Although as they are now in their 3rd year I thought that they could give fruit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal