Author Topic: new strawberry plants  (Read 2171 times)

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
Re: new strawberry plants
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 18:22:29 »
I was thinking of using a large compost bag, and cutting holes out of it, like a strawberry pot. 

That's the way I do it.

10 plants to a 56 ltr bag of compost. The bags are on a table. I cut 10 holes in the top for plants plus another two for watering. I insert an old pop bottle into the watering hole and pour into that - much easier and quicker.
Also cut a number of short slits along the bottom of the bag for drainage, otherwise the rots will rot.

First year I don't add any feed, but second and third I do. After three years, replace plants and bags.

Pro's  - Don't get slugs or weeds. No bits of soil in the fruit. No bending over to pick. Runners are easy to harvest/control.

Con's - Need watering regularly, more so than if in the ground. Cost - I pay £4 or £5 for each bag. Bags need putting on the ground over the frost period - their heavy and moving could damage the root systems, so need to be careful (& not buy too big a bag that I  cant lift).

I am tyring a number of different bags. Have tried Mirical-Grow Multi-P. (yellow bag), Mirical-Grow Moisture control (blue bag) and Levingtons Multi-P with waterlock (red bag). All appear to work equally as well.

I'm going to try a bag of farm manure this year and maybe a double thick growbag.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 21:32:53 »
Yes it definatly seems that way, also a good dollop of very well rotted manure

Not to mention a good dollop of well clotted cream  ;D
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 17:07:39 »
Stuck my plant in pots as not had time to get to allotment - need to dog over the beds ready and put down some fabric and (get some manure)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal