Author Topic: Neighbours hedge.. HELP!!  (Read 2615 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Neighbours hedge.. HELP!!
« on: March 02, 2008, 17:53:44 »
Please someone advise me what to do.

My neighbour has some kind of hedge, similar to honeysuckle.  Has white flowers. 
It is growing everywhere, its even attached itself to a tree and grown up it about 30 foot.  It has also started to wrap itself round one of my buddlias.  I have cut it back as much as I can, but any suggestions how to control this parasite.

It also has another spreading one entwined with it with purple flowers and really glossy leaves.  This is shooting all into my garden too.

I am temped to use a very very strong weedkiller and killing it all off from my side  :-X :-X :-X

Its a Trellis fence all on their side.   

Any suggestions how to control these would be really really appreciated.

What is concerning me the most is that my veg boxes are up against this fence too.

Forgot to add:  its a rented out house, and each member of the household will not cut it on their side at all.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 17:56:23 by springbokgirlie »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Neighbours hedge.. HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 18:51:32 »
Forgot to add:  its a rented out house, and each member of the household will not cut it on their side at all.

Check with the landlord. If nobody is willing to take responsibility for it, then it would be weed killer from me.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:47:17 »
Your purple one is possibly Passiflora. Nice but needs to be kept in check....or in it's own garden!
 Garden shears will help keep both on the right side of the fence but both will need to be kept on top of.
 With an open trellis it's not easy to stop either plant from doing what come naturally. If you kill them off you have an empty trellis! Better to wander round with the shears once a week.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 12:29:46 »
If it is on your nation's Invasive Species List- off with its head ! ;D
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 13:59:00 »
One thing you should consider is your legal position.
You can take off as much as you want on your side with shears as long as you return the clippings (chuck them over the fence) but if the plant is growing on their side & you use weedkiller technically you are committing criminal damage. Are they likely to kick up a fuss if you kill the plant?
I personally would either stick with shears or ask them for permission to kill it off.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 19:41:46 »
round up will do the trick, we have the same a prickly plant that goes dormant winter time and just looks like sticks, then about now it gets green and has tiny purplish blue flowers on, its a real thug and hangs over my rockery on our side, it blocks all the light and all my things grow at an angle to get to the sun, swamped everything of light, and cutting it back makes it grow back more   >:( >:( >:( >:(  id love to know what it is and get rid, i sprayed it with round up and pathclear and the swine is still lurking.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 20:10:35 »
I'm afraid the only thing that will keep the brute under control is continually cutting.  I'm sure the vine in question is Russian Vine / Polygonum. 

I would be suprised if even roundup would do anything and would be tempted to cut through some thick stems on your side from time to time.  That way they will get unsightly die back and may be tempted to plant something a little nicer instead  :)
Best laid plans and all that

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 21:23:59 »
Have you spoken to your neighbours? maybe if they knew about the problem they can keep it under control better, if you have and the won't then its the weedkiller for me too.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 22:46:34 »
I have spoken to the neighbours.  THey dont care, its not thier responsibility to upkeep the hedge.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 23:00:28 »
It amazes me that its not in the contract that the tenant has to maintain the garden and hedges. I guess it s impossible to find out who the landlord is. Though I doubt that would do any good, he/she obviously only wants the rent money.

Kill it!!!!
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 16:18:24 »
Get the weedkiller out ,   tootsweet, before it really gets going i do not think anyone would miss it anyway if they do not care.  Go for it KILL it off now.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 17:14:08 »
GOOD NEWS!!!

After telling them everything that everyone told me here, like i can throw my cuttings etc over to their side, they sat up and listened.  They didnt realise there were legal implications. :)

They have given me permission to cut down their side on their property myself this weekend.  I explained that I was not happy that it was left to run wild and it was having an effect on my side of the fence....
So guess what I am doing this saturday lol... be worth all the work though!!!!.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 10:33:11 »
One of our neighbouring houses is rented. The level of upkeep the garden gets depends mostly on what sort of people are living there. I am sure they are required to do a mimimum of maintainance to keep the garden tidy, but this minimum is often not enough IMO. Occasionaly though there have been tenants who have done a bit more to the garden than was expected of them. Usualy though by the time one group of tenants move on the garden needs a bit of work doing to it. This has been the case with the most recent lot.

The garden of this house is much smaller than ours and has 2 trees planted close to our boundary. Little has been done to these over the years and one grew particularly large. I have a border on our side which whilst not particularly shaded has had to compete for water and light with these trees.  About a month ago we went away for a week, and in that time the incumbent tenants moved out and the landlord either got someone in or came himself (not sure) to sort out both house and garden. We didnt realise it straight away on our return but the trees on the boundary had received a good prune at the same time. This has made so much difference to the light and air on our side, far more than you would think it would, and has taken quite a bit of getting used to.

My only complaint  is the pruning was a bit of a butchers job, with tears left in the bark and quite ugly branch stumps left behind. Obviously not being our trees we had no control over what happened to them, and i am sure they will recover and look good again fairly soon. That said i am glad it has been done (not before time), and I am sure the border on our side will benefit.

BTW after a period of vacancy the house has now been relet, so time will tell if the garden goes to pot again or not!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 11:07:50 »
Just for the record if the branches of a neighbours tree overhang your boundary you are entitled to cut them off, but must offer the cut wood to your neighbour.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 09:51:36 »
Just for the record if the branches of a neighbours tree overhang your boundary you are entitled to cut them off, but must offer the cut wood to your neighbour.

Yes i know about that. This i what I had been doing to try and alieviate the light problem the tree was causing. I did once offer to return the branches, and was told I could do what I liked with them. Since then I have added any prunings to those from my own trees and shrubs, and put them through the shredder.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal