Author Topic: Weather warning  (Read 2676 times)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Weather warning
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:57:14 »
Apparently Monday may be the worst storm Britain has seen, now I really wish we hadn't put up the greenhouse yet :(

Anyway we shall have to wait and see, they have been wrong before :-\
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Weather warning
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 13:04:41 »
Hmmm,  last weekends wind ripped the roof off our shed - we were in Scotland dodging bits of branches falling off trees at the time.  OH has got all the bits to put on a new roof, but we can't do it until Sunday & my washing is horizontal on the line at the moment so I hope there's still a shed left to attach the new roof to!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 21:23:24 »
hope its not too bad for everyone, keeps blowing my polycarbinate panels out of my greenhouse when its bad.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 21:35:18 »
Looks like Devon and Cornwall will be hit worst, with Western England and Wales being hit also. 70-80mph winds.  Time to batten down the hatches again!  :-[
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 22:23:49 »
If it's only 70-80mph, it'll be nowhere near the worst ever. The worst since 1892 struck Cornwall nine months after we moved down, just when we had builders in and all the windows out. 120mph gusts had the whole house shaking like a jelly, despite the walls being two feet of solid granite.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 22:37:52 »
I put my postcode into metwatch, it 'looks' like our highest wind is 35mph. But Ive also just watched the weather forecast.

It still doesn't look too good, lets hope its not as bad as they say particularly for the south west.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 00:22:59 »
From the BEEB: An intense area of low pressure is forecast to develop on Monday. Both wind and rain will be notable with potentially damaging gusts possible. England and Wales look most at risk at the moment, with gusts of wind up to 70mph, locally 80mph for exposed coasts and hills.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 14:02:57 »
Just taken the following from Metcheck:-

Forecasters Warning

-- Gales / Severe Gales--

Areas Affected: Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, South & West Wales, South-west, South, East, Central England.

There is now general confidence of a severe depression affecting many parts of the United Kingdom throughout Sunday night and Monday.

Dangerous winds, high sea states and heavy rain will merge to produce treacherous driving conditions and structural damage and felled trees.

The worst of the wind is expected across Ireland and South-west England during Monday afternoon with severe gales, perhaps storm force or violent storm force for a time.

Gales are also likely across many Central and Eastern areas during peak travel times.

Those travelling during Monday are advised to take extra care if within the affected areas. Mariners are expected to be aware of the severity of this Atlantic storm and the risk to life and property.

Sounds like October '87 all over again!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 18:55:44 »
Except there were no warnings then....

I remember driving North late that night in '87 as far as Nottingham to give a talk, staying overnight with a friend, and being kept awake by rattling windows. Gave my talk in the morning, and when I asked if there were any questions, chap got up and said "You won't get home today. The South East is Cut Off!"

Drove south finding trees all over the road and got home (near Maidstone, have moved since then) to power cuts and a blown over shed. Spent a few days cooking sausages over open fire by candle light - children thrilled.

Very bad forecast for today, but spent it on allotment with grandsons cooking on bonfires in blazing sunshine, so don't know what to expect tomorrow.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 21:18:10 »
It's October '79 I remember, and December '84 when the Penlee lifeboat went down. Odd how the big storms in different parts of the counrty arrive in different years.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal