Author Topic: New Allotment Project  (Read 4771 times)

MindBodyandSoil

• Not So New ...
Re: New Allotment Project
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2008, 13:50:43 »
Cheers Springbok - hadn't actually thought of them. Will have to try them next week. It's most definitely worth a try!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2008, 15:45:55 »
For your carrots and parsnips its not a bad idea to grow them in barrels anyway, it helps if the containers are over 2' tall so you dont have to worry about protecting against carrot fly :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

MindBodyandSoil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2008, 19:07:15 »
Hi all. Just thought you'd like a quick update.

We ave now officially moved plots, and have managed to spend only ne solid day on the site since I came back from leave on monday, as I had a humungous pile of paperwork!

Am hoping to post some photographs over the next week, so you can all see our progress!

A massive thankyou to all of you who have donated seeds etc to our cause!!!

Watch this space.

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2008, 19:41:47 »
Just a quick one to say I think your project is a great idea. I manage a day programme in substance misuse in North London. We have thought of the idea ourselves. They are well into my progress with my digging in the group as I have had loads of leave but have been popping in for the odd day. What a great idea. I have used examples of clearing the land and planting seeds and nuturing alongside examples of recovery. Good luck to you and I hope they get a lot of enjoyment out of the plot.
Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scolb.
A windy day is not the day to be fixing your thatch (roof).

MindBodyandSoil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 12:08:32 »
Just a quick update for you guys.

Once again, many, many thanks for all your help and best wishes.

I apoplogise for not being around much, but have been unwell, and when I came back, there was soooo much to do - not enough hours in the day for evn the basic stuff!

Our project is slowly starting to take shape.
Will post some piccies in the near future.
After having to move sites, we have ended up on some plots which were previously used as the manure and compost heaps, which means the top 4 inches or so are beautiful, rich fertile soil. Unfortunately, beneath is nasty nasty clay! Yikes! We have been digging very hard, and have cleared ourselves a nice little area, in which I have planted several rhubarb crowns, some strawberries which we scavenged from a compost heap, radishes, onions and carrots. I have tonnes of plants growing in pots and troughs at our day centre, desperately needing to go out, but, unfortunately, I can't dig quick enough!!! lol.

We are slowly getting more and more service users interested, even if they can't immediately manage the heavy digging. There is plenty of weeding etc to be undertaken, as we have a rather serious bind weed problem, and it's strangling my d**n onions and my carrots! lol.

While it has been very slow progress up to this point, fraught with all kinds of problems, I am thrilled to announce, we are starting to make good progress, and am hoping things will only get better.

PS - We have so far unearthed the bones of approximately half a cow, complete with jaw and teeth, a small portion of pig (mostly teeth), and what I think is roughly a quarter of a sheep (although I guess this could also be pig). We are thinking of wiring them together and naming them as project pets!!!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2008, 12:32:20 »
Good to hear from you!

I am pleased to hear that you are making progress!  Onward and upward!!

Keep us posted

Old Bird

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal