Author Topic: Chicken vs Veg plot  (Read 1676 times)

beanie3

• Half Acre
Chicken vs Veg plot
« on: March 03, 2008, 19:35:12 »
Hi!

I have had four chickens for over a year now - and recently secured the garden so are now free-range.  I also have a veg plot - what can i do to protect me veg - any suggestions.

I was thinking of some flexible fencing (net with pegs - kinda thing) but can i find anything - can i hell.  Please help.

Many thanks Gill. ???

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Chicken vs Veg plot
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 20:09:55 »
I was thinking of some flexible fencing (net with pegs - kinda thing) but can i find anything - can i hell.  Please help.

I would put posts between the 2 plots with chickenwire fencing, possibly up to 6 ft. Clip one wing on each hen to prevent them flying. This will have to be done every 4 months or so as they grow back. Do not clip both wings as they will still be able to fly. Always stick to the same side. I always clip the left wing, then I know they will always be fine.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 08:59:20 »
Chicken wire is cheap enough if you buy it in big rolls - 3m at a time and you end up paying a lot more. If your hens are all adults then the large mesh is fine (used to be 2inch in old money) - this again is cheaper.
Local builders merchants often have it in.
If you want to keep the hens in 6ft is probably high enough if the enclosed space is big enough - the smaller the enclosed space the more curious they will be about whats outside!
If you want to keep foxes out dig it in the ground at least a foot if possible.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:04:27 »
Thanks Godfreyrob.  I got some plastic fencing at the weekend.  (Looks like chicken wire but plastic).....this way what i hope to do is when autumn/winter arrives and i want the girls to turn over the plot i can just roll it up and store away ready for the following year.  I am putting it up this weekend - will let you know how i get on - like i said before i am no diy er!!!!
Gill x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal