Author Topic: Poly House anyone?  (Read 2210 times)

Geepeeaay

Poly House anyone?
« on: March 03, 2008, 21:06:41 »
Hi All,

I'm a Newbie to this site and was wondering if anyone has crossed a Poly tunnel with a Greenhouse as I have recently done?
I've not had such a large undercover growing area before

Would be interested in discussing growing techniques, advantages / disadvantages with using plastic as opposed to glass i.e. air circulation/temp probs

Is it very different growing under plastic as opposed to under glass? Is the build shape going to matter?

Recent photos are in My Gallery under 2nd half plot

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Poly House anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 21:56:42 »
Hi Geepeeaay  and welcome to A4A.
I'm very impressed with your plot and your polyhouse. Great idea. I wish you good luck with anything you intend only growing in there

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 22:53:10 »
Wow!! What lovely plots! What are you growing up your pergola?

cj :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 23:28:50 »
It looks like a roomy walk-in polyhouse. I have no experience except with a 4X6 zippered plastic type "greenhouse" which didn't work in our area because it got too hot and there was no automatic ventilation system. In your area folks say that isn't a problem so ENJOY!
Your first plot pictures were beautiful.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 23:43:17 »
There are 2 problems firstly ventilation which causes problems with excess heat & humidity during the day.
Secondly polythene loses heat faster than glass does so they tend to get cooler at night than a glass greenhouse does.

There are plans linked to in this thread which resolve the ventilation problems by including several windows.
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,37865.0.html

The heatloss is a bit more difficult you can use a greenhouse heater at night or you can keep a waterbutt in there (the water absorbs heat through the day & releases it at night) or you could go down the INEBG route & install a solar heat sink. http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5591

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 08:37:06 »
hiya, geepeeaay, welcome to the site..we have a 30' polytunnel and we grow lots of stuff and quite successfully, just have to be there morning and night in spring to open and close the doors  ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:09:47 »
Welcome from me. Enjoyed viewing your gallery, very impressive.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 15:13:57 »
Hi there, welcome. Your plot and polyhouse looking good! ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 18:02:31 »
I think a problem you might have with the single pitch roof is drips from condensation. Not sure of the answer to that, but good ventilation will help.
I think ou have an excellant idea though. I paid mucho money for a large polytunnel, which is great, but have access to timber, round or square and could have done something like you have very cheaply.
I have found that the polytunnel easily keeps moist compared to a greenhouse.
What are you planning to grow?
I usually try to cram to much in. I grew some great strawberries, which I know would grow outdoors but I had no problems with birds, and I cant have em outdoors as we free range hens and ducks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal