Author Topic: Pot-bound Plants  (Read 1242 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Pot-bound Plants
« on: March 10, 2008, 12:31:09 »
How would you deal with a plant that had been living ina pot for a considerable time that you wanted to plant out and grow properly?

Standard advice says to loosen the roots and even cut a few of the worst congested ones, and this is fine but sometimes this is not enough IMO. Some plants particularly shrubs can get stunted and 'bonzai-ed' if they stay in pots for too long and can remain like this even when planting out into open ground or a larger container.

So is there a way to overcome this problem? I have a shrub i want to plant out in a border as part of a revamp. The shrub though has been in its pot for a long time and i am concerned it will fail to establish and grow properly once planted out. Other than buying a new plant (this one is home grown) is there anything I can do to stimulate it (other than feeding) into growing away properly?

Thanks

PS The shrub is a hardy deciduous one that has already started to grow new leaves. (FYI a Ribes sanguineum).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 12:33:01 by Garden Apprentice »

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Pot-bound Plants
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 18:06:26 »
I'd make the planting hole twice the size you need.  Add potting compost and a sprinkling of bonemeal and use potting compost to back fill.  Water in well and continue to water regularly until well established.  The idea is to make the 'soil' around the plant attractive to its roots.  This method always works for me.  Good luck. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 20:37:40 »
I'd just add that the hole you dig should be square...not round.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 20:43:21 »
Thank you Bernard Cribbins.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 20:47:40 »
,,,and find a man with a bowler hat to plant with it! (Bet I'm older than you!)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 21:05:48 »
You could try a product containing mycorrhiza, like Rootgrow, which is supposed to enhance growth. Agree with the bonemeal advice, and/or you could use a high phosphorous fertiliser such as PhosMag or even a reasonable autumn lawn feed should have the right nutrients to help root growth.
Make sure that when you plant it out, there aren't any air pockets where you've loosened out the roots, tread it in firmly all around during and after planting.
These don't like to be in wet places, but it won't hurt to make sure it's kept well watered throught the first year at least. Don't over improve the soil with lush rotted manure if you are planting in a heavy clay soil, as you may end up forming a sort of sump which will fill with water when it rains heavily.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 23:04:40 »
I'd just add that the hole you dig should be square...not round.

Everyone says that these days. What I want to know is how did they manage to dig round holes? Do folks have special round spades for the job?

Anyway, it has been my experience that for the most part, a plant will strike out new roots radially from the old rootball if given the opportunity. Also while artificially bonsaied while in the pot, it will shoot out with vigour once the roots provide the input. This can lead to a poorly shaped bush with strong stems growing from thin twigs.

If it were mine I would plant it now, let it flower then murder it with the secateurs.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 23:34:46 »
Thanks for the advice.

With reference to round and square holes, square are supposed to be better these days as it forces the roots out into the surounding soil better. I think someone has found that round holes can become like another, albeit much larger pot, with similar effects on the roots.

Strange, i used to dig round holes for shrubs and never had any problems with plants getting established. I do though now try to dig my planting holes square, since i can see the logic behind it. They are no more difficult or easier to dig with a standard spade. I find they are harder to backfill though for some reason.

The funny thing is i frequently think of and maybe hum the hole digging song when i dig a square planting hole, when I never do for round ones..... ;D :o

Of course the other new planting method, which i cant seem to get my head around, (let alone try out) is the one for planting trees and shrubs where you dig a shallow hole, dont dig over or add compost to the bottom of the hole and plant the tree or shrub into a small mound which is then mulched. This is supposed to prevent water logging and again promote a strong root system, but i cant help feeling that plants put in this way are more prone to blowing over and/or drying out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal