Author Topic: Rhodie problem  (Read 1519 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Rhodie problem
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:07:43 »
Sorry, pasted this in non edibles when it should have probably been here......

The mother in law called as she has something killing off her rhodies.  She has several along a fence, they have been in the ground for about 18 months.  I have no idea what the soil pH is or the drainage situation, but from what she tells me it sounds like a creature.  The leaves have holes in them, not just around the edges, but shot holes through the middle, and now some of the leaves are skeletal with just the veins left.  I thought vine weevils or leaf chomping bees, but does anyone know what this could be and what she can do, she loves her chemicals and has already been spraying it with the Ultimate Bug Gun that she got from B&Q!

Thanks in advance!  ???

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Rhodie problem
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 12:47:13 »
Not many things will eat them, rhododendron leafhoppers (Graphocephala fennahi) are known to be thriving in the south of England they were originally introduced from north America. Vine weevils & some caterpillars will occassionally eat the young leaves but other than that I think rhododendrons are too toxic for anything else to eat them.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 13:00:48 »
They're so toxic that rhododendron honey is well known for being poisonous. I'm surprised anything eats them at all!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 14:38:04 »
Interesting.  Well, I will take this info tomorrow when we go for lunch, and my camera and try to take some snaps and post.  Thanks for this advice chaps.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 16:15:08 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 00:35:22 »
I have blamed slugs and snails as that is the sort of damage, but it is bazaar.  Some leaves just have shot holes.  Anyhow, the plants are in good health with lovely big flower buds so I have told her to keep it well fed with ericaceous feed and see what the new flush of leaves bring.   Thanks for your advice folks, I printed it all out and gave it to them so I think they are going to have a torch light vigil just to see if they can find any culprits, so if anything comes of it I will let you know.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal