Author Topic: Hello Im new I have just got my first allotment  (Read 1461 times)

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
Hello Im new I have just got my first allotment
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:36:09 »
Hello

I am new and just have my first allotment. It is in my back garden and it is very over grown.
We moved into the house last year and it has an allotment.I have cleared most of the old weeds but started digging over and it is full of building materials and I found out that the builders who done up the house used the area as a dump. The neighbour next door said that the previous owner used to get loads of veg and its good soil.

I found as I dig over I am finding plastic rubbish bags full of household waste and even an old duvet! What do you think will be the best way forward? I have two weeks off work this month to try and get it somewhere near planting. I have read about raised beds what do you think. It is quite a big area. I could do with all the help I can get as I have never even had a garden before but it has been my dream to have an allotment for years. So I am really pleased to finally start on my allotment and cant wait to get advice. Cheers
Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scolb.
A windy day is not the day to be fixing your thatch (roof).

torquil

• Quarter Acre
Re: Hello Im new I have just got my first allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:42:24 »
  hi and welcome to the site you have definitly come to the right place this is the one to help with any info you need. the best thing is to concentrate on one area at a time,good luck and enjoy your planting.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 10:51:29 »
I have read about raised beds what do you think.

It is an option but don't be tempted to form them on the ground you describe.

Get as much of the rubbish out as you can.

If you do go the raised bed way mark them out first, then dig a hole to get out all or at least most of the rubbish.

Then start the second bed filling the first bed with the best of the soil that comes out of it, then carry on adim finitum. You might find that on the last bed you do not have enough soil to fill it then leave it open and fill it with your compostable kitchen waste.

Then top it off with some purchased compost.

The effort will be worth it in the end.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 11:26:56 »
Don't forget to have regular tea breaks.  ;D

Welcome aboard.  :D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 11:35:12 »
One advantage of having raised beds is that it helps you concentrate your efforts into defined areas, which gives you heart when you sort another one out and you can see a reward for your efforts. However, as TeeGee says, there is no substitute for hard work when clearing the site, you don't want to make a raised bed over some dodgy waste that will potentially leach into your soil!

It may look like a huge daunting area now, but once planted up will probably be too small for everything you want to grow! Take your time, sit down and decide what fruit and veg you want to grow first, then work out the best place for your essentials such as a shed, compost bins, manure pile, seating area, do you want a greenhouse?

Plan permanent areas for fruit trees, soft fruit, asparagus if you like it, rhubarb etc., then work out where paths are going to be, at least one decent wide one to push a wheelbarrow down, and then think about where your raised beds will be, and how many you can fit in. Try and make the total divisible by four or five to make rotation of your crops easier to work out! Then sit down exhausted from all that working out and have a nice glass of wine or two... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 11:39:30 »
Thanks for the advice I will do a piece at a time and I think that clearing one bed and saving the soil is a good idea and to keep going with that. I am so pleased to advise. I will be asking for loads! I will defn be having loads of tea breaks  as well. Is it best to use a sieve to get the best soil as it is all mixed up with bits of brick and weeds? Probably daft question but I really am that new to this. I also have some wood that is not got in preserver on it is that the best wood? Thanks for welcoming me on board.  

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 11:56:08 »
Without preserver the wood will break down faster...
Usually the stuff can be got out without a sieve...
Enjoy the site.
 ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 12:09:47 »
Welcome BHH ;D

How wonderful that you have an allotment sized garden, Mine aint big, but I can grow plenty so you will have loads of fun.

Dont forget a slice of cake with those cuppas.

Enjoy the site ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 15:13:38 »
hiya, bluehousehill, welcome to the site..if it's been used as an allotment before, you may already have fruit bushes, rhubarb, strawberries..possibly paths buried under all the rubble..have fun in your new garden and don't do too much at once, look after your back  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 15:22:22 »
Thanks for the advice I will do a piece at a time and I think that clearing one bed and saving the soil is a good idea and to keep going with that. I am so pleased to advise. I will be asking for loads! I will defn be having loads of tea breaks  as well. Is it best to use a sieve to get the best soil as it is all mixed up with bits of brick and weeds? Probably daft question but I really am that new to this. I also have some wood that is not got in preserver on it is that the best wood? Thanks for welcoming me on board.  
Welcome B'...Lucky you to have a plot so close to the house. If you're going to do a lot of sieving think about making one to take the weight of the soil rather than trying to do it with just your arms...and back!

Ken.
[attachment=1]
Mesh is about 1"X 2" and is H/D wire/pig fencing.

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 17:26:13 »
Thanks for all your replys I am lucky and it was one of the reasons we moved in. Thanks for the excellent advice. I will try and make one of those sieves as I have loads to do. I will def only do a bit at a time as at the moment it all seems a bit daunting but through your messages it feels like I can get somewhere. I have already made my plan up and hopefully I can get it pegged out and have one dug out by next weekend. I felt a bit rushed as I thought everything needs to planted by the end of March. Thanks for giving advice and welcoming me its been great

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 18:43:33 »
and be carefull, you will no doubt want to go for hours in the two weeks you have off

as the guys say clear the rubbish and then plan your plot and do bit at a time.

Radox is good as well for a long soak for releaving all that toil. ;D
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 19:29:37 »
Welcome to the madhouse BHH, as the others have said a bit at a time, give yourself a small target then sit back have a break and feel proud of what you have done, this will spur you on for the next phase, and theres loads that goes in the ground after March so don't feel rushed, get yourself a good lottie book and have a read up on dates and other stuff.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

hoonteo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 21:57:25 »
I've just got mine as well, so congratulations. I'm doing a bit at a time too. While I'm at it, does anyone know how I can save some soil? I've found that when I've dug out all the couch grass that Ive very little left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal