Allotment Stuff > The Basics

This may sound silly...

<< < (3/7) > >>

Tenuse:
Keep the ones you don't get round to in the fridge, it will keep them from deteriorating quite so fast (except for parsnips and peas I think you have to buy fresh seed for these).

If it is any consolation my fridge is heaving with seeds, my cellar heaving with sets, my ears ringing with contradictory advice and my allotment - well my allotment is just full of weeds!

Ten x

crickett1234:
:) :) :) :) :)

Thanks Ten!  That makes me feel a lot better actually!

Next week I have a week off between jobs (end of a temporary one and beginning of a permanent one - hopefully!  Need to sort out the contract and the exact start date and so on!).  I am hoping that I will be able to go out to the allotment everyday, regardless of the weather and have a go at the plot.  The way I have planned it, I should be able to do two or three beds each day, and still get home in time to get the house looking spiffing and a meal on the table for hubby.  (Feminists, fear not!  He only gets that kind of treatment when I am not at work!  If I am at work then he fends for himself!!)

8)

The gardener:
We have all been there cricket so don't worry too much it is surprising how resilient plants can be.

A few of the members have advised you to keep notes I wholeheartedly agree with this, so much so I put all my notes on my website for all to share .

So if it is a week by week programme you want you could look in there.

My sowing dates will be similar to yours considering I garden just a little north of you in Yorkshire.

aquilegia:
Clare - what is it they say about aiming for the stars? With all that lot, you should be able to get at least a decent crop off most of it, if not all! I've always found with gardening that enthusiasm makes up a lot for what I lack in knowledge and it sounds like you're goign the same way.

Don't worry about the timings - they will need sowing, potting up, planting out, etc at different times anyway. If they all say to sow at similar times on the packet, just pick a few different veg to sow that week/day. (At least that's what I've done!)

I'm growing (well, you know, hopefully!) five different tomatoes, five different potatoes, peppers, courgettes, runner beans, broad beans, sweetcorn, parsnip, carrots, leeks, garlic, fennel, radishes, herbs, strawberries, apples, and probably something else I've forgotten. Plus some lettuce, when I find the right seeds. We'll have to compare notes at the end of the season!

tim:
The one thing about these boards, surely, is that you get a wide variety of views - whereas, in most books - you get only the author's .

Then, when 2 or more people on the board agree, you are close to getting a workable idea?

No one method is the 'right-for-everyone-one. = Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version