Author Topic: Trouble again!!  (Read 7185 times)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Trouble again!!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 20:37:39 »
  QUOTE (+ or - is  only found on dvds you are clearly using a cd so it is not an issue.)
Sorry i have to dissagree -- and + are found on both CD and DVD check it out next time you are at the shops.
Finalizing and closing a disc does not aply to copying pictures using the CD wizard, it only aplies if you are using a programe like Nero, Copying/Ripping a CD or DVD or making a VCD and such like
I love this sight we all learn
Davy
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 09:28:07 »
Steep curve!!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 15:01:14 »
  QUOTE (+ or - is  only found on dvds you are clearly using a cd so it is not an issue.)
Sorry i have to dissagree -- and + are found on both CD and DVD check it out next time you are at the shops.

I am familiar with CD+G discs but I have never seen nor had a request for CD+R discs. As far as I am aware there is no CD plus R format. For CDs, the separator is just a hyphen. For DVDs, the ± denote two different formats.
http://dictionary.zdnet.com/definition/CD%252BR.html

Coincidentally I am the local shop round here when it comes to blank media several thousand blank discs pass through my hands each week.

Finalizing and closing a disc does not aply to copying pictures using the CD wizard, it only aplies if you are using a programe like Nero, Copying/Ripping a CD or DVD or making a VCD and such like
How the disc was created has not yet been established so it is still the first thing I would check.

Tim you could always post the disc to me & I will get it working then send it back in the next post if it would help.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 15:04:16 »
I have to agree, if the disk was not closed, and written with a program like nero, it would read on the pc that it was burnt on originally, but not neccessarily another machine.

Experienced this program myself. :D

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 15:21:37 »
BACCY MAN, I will stand corrected and i am saluting you now sir. As we say, learn something every day, and i just have. I have always thought that dash reprisented a minus sign, but then i have never gone looking for anything else.
My appologies
DavyW

DAVY

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 15:28:53 »
No apology necessary.
Labelling is often misleading & as I build & repair computers for a living I have an unfair advantage in these matters.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 15:54:37 »
No apology necessary.
Labelling is often misleading & as I build & repair computers for a living I have an unfair advantage in these matters.
Well i feel they were, and i don,t find any hardship in addmiting i was wrong.

DAVY

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 17:32:05 »
Baccy Man - helpful as ever - but, since it works on Daughter's machine, we'll get there in the end, & I can only hope that all these contributions are of help to others.

Just wish I knew WHY!!

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 21:19:04 »
the software that was used to create the cd/dvd isn't to blame - what is probably missing (on your computer Tim) is the appropriate driver to play it - it is the drivers that allow for the playing to happen - solve that and bingo  :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 17:20:32 »
Come & hold my hand??

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 18:14:09 »
would love to and I'm sure there's more you could teach us Tim than what we could ever teach you  :-*

I'm a mac person so I'm just translating my knowledge the best I can and I'm sure a PC expert will help as well, most of what has already been written is a possible cause as well - you should have had some kind of message to say that a driver is missing or needs updating (a mac would do this automatically) but if you use a search engine and type in cd dvd drivers and see what comes up you should be able to download and update or install all the necessary drivers to run whatever you need - should be free as well I think

the oddity here is the fact that it works on your daughter's pc - good luck  :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 18:33:57 »
Only just came back to this - smooch & thanks to you too!!

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 18:14:50 »
I'll have a dance with you when it actually works, which is soon I hope  8)

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 12:01:33 »
It's almost certainly the disc not being closed by the burning software.

Can I recommend a 1GB USB memory stick, such as http://www.ebuyer.com/product/117004 for the physical transferring of photos from computer to computer. If you're an SD user (which I think you are not Tim - Compact Flash and xD), best device I have found is http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126448. Basically a USB memory stick that you stick your SD cards in - great device.

I can't think the last time I burned a CD for someone? I think potentially if someone uses audio CDs in their car.

Tim

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 12:21:23 »
With the size of photo files increasing all the time I'd actually go for a 4 Gb

Prices start at around £9.00 - here are some examples:

Dabs

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 12:30:22 »
So much less than I paid for mine.

Such a great site.  SO helpful. To be more explicit -

1. Crash a year or so ago lost most of painter Daughter's life's work.
2. Yes - we had a back-up disk, but that failed on the same day. We don't do things by halves!!
3. For £400 we retrieved a few dozen photos.
4. So, belt & braces, I got a stick to back up our currently operative external hard drive. And that's now corrupted.
5. No great loss, but I don't want it to happen again. Was it the fault of the stick or, as suggested, an interfering download?

Great blog - the other Tim!!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 12:42:18 »
Yes - I think mine was over £40 just a year ago! Anyway you're obviously up to speed on USB sticks. You also probably know about these as well...

I'm now looking at USB portable hard drives - no need for mains power - just waiting for them to get a little cheaper!

dabs usbdrives

timiano

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 12:46:41 »
Thanks Tim

Home backup is always a tricky one to decide what to do. I've pondered many an hour trying to justify different solutions. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't make you money, but they are precious - where do you draw the line?

My personal strategy, is to have a copy of everything. I have two hard disks of 500GB one external, one in a desktop computer. Everything is mirrored between the two. What it doesn't account for though, is if I accidently delete something off the backup disk, or archive disk I like to call it. It's not so much of a problem if I realise I've deleted it in error, where the recycle bin come is handy. But, forget and you're in trouble.

Also, God forbid, but what if my house were to burn down to the ground - and everybody is OK. Material objects can be replaced through insurance. But photos can't, and that even applies to celluloid negatives and prints. What to do then?

Well, I publish quite a lot of my favourite photos to Flickr. I 'could' upload full res images, but I choose to just go large - about 1600 x something. This in it's own way is a little bit of an archive, if the absolute worst happened. I could theoretically store the full size images, but at 12MP+ and one of the cameras shoots RAW, it's not that possible - well, yet!

It won't be long until online storage is a reasonable cost. At the moment, it is available, but it's either small - say 1GB - still quite handy though. But, not quite big enough for archives of digital lives. Now, some bright spark may come up with a solution that involves a family member, or trusted person, friend etc. It could act in sort of a peer to peer manner, where you upload to thier house on a disc, and vice versa. House burns down, items stolen, you've got all of your stuff. The only problem with that scenario is bandwidth. If the initial sync is done at each others' houses, then it's only doing a delta which won't be incredulous amounts - although still quite large. So, you'd need a good ISP without very restrictive data caps.

I use a provider call BeThere. They offer ADSL 2 for £22/month. That gives me roughly 20Mbs download, and a very useable 2Mb upload.

Cheers

Tim

timiano

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 12:49:50 »
Yes - I think mine was over £40 just a year ago! Anyway you're obviously up to speed on USB sticks. You also probably know about these as well...

I'm now looking at USB portable hard drives - no need for mains power - just waiting for them to get a little cheaper!

dabs usbdrives

Hey Barnowl

When I'm on the road, I use what they call a camera buddy. It's a USB portable hard drive with flash memory card slots built in. It runs it's own little bit of software, so you can put a card in it - without a computer - hit the play button, and it copies the contents of said memory card to the hard drive. This can then be connected with USB to computer later on for all your memory cards.

This can be used for either a backup, or offload storage to free up cards so you can carry on shooting.

http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/Digital-Photo-Storage/sc889/p17.aspx

Tim

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 13:36:02 »
Very interesting. Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal