Author Topic: Anti-slug frog pond  (Read 2084 times)

grepmonkey

• Not So New ...
Anti-slug frog pond
« on: March 02, 2008, 13:14:56 »
Hi,

In an effort to control slug numbers organically I am considering a pond. If I am looking to start a pond, how big should I make it for frogs? I was thinking of burying a plastic storage box with a couple of logs in it so there is a slope. Im guessing this is likely to be a foot wide, a foot and a half long and a foot deep. I was thinking of banging this into the middle of the plot, but this will mean no shade or cover.

Is this likely to big enough? Do I need to create some shade, or can I just bundle up some logs as hiding places next to the pond?  Any thing else I should consider?

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
Re: Anti-slug frog pond
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 13:10:57 »
My first pond was no bigger than you've described and it attracted frogs almost straight away. I don't think it matters much where you put it but a bit of shade would be preferable for those long hot summers we have. I've done nothing more than to totally abandon a bit of land next to the pond, a bit less than a yard square, to let them have their own space. Mine found their own hiding place in my woodpile, which must be 20ft from the pond, in preference to my strategically placed logs so I don't think you need to go to too much trouble. They spawn every year so I just leave them to it. Good luck. ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Anti-slug frog pond
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 17:46:22 »
If evaporation will be a major consideration where you live having it near your water supply would be a help to you.

The frogs in our pond like to sun themselves on rocks and also hide in water grasses, pachysandra and ivy etc. near or on the edges of the pond.

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal