Author Topic: Fencing  (Read 1053 times)

grepmonkey

• Not So New ...
Fencing
« on: February 29, 2008, 19:42:02 »
Hi,
Last year we  had rabbits & dear (not to mention birds and slugs) on the plot. I now have some fence posts up, but I'm unsure of what fencing I need to protect the plot.
Does anyone have any views on height/mesh size, or know of any good (cheap) places to get it?

Thanks

jockomorrocco

• Quarter Acre
Re: Fencing
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 20:28:00 »
use chicken wire, I spent 30 quid on a roll of plastic barrier mesh and the d**n rabbits bit through it the first night

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 22:28:28 »
yes,

chicken wire is the best for bugs a 30mm holed version, but keep it tight between posts & make sure you dig it in to a min depth of 12" as they will try to dig, then try and deter bugs from jumping over as well .

best of luck

from the farmer
today i will be growin veg!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 22:32:52 »
Welcome to the site Grepmonkey...
Don't have those problems myself... too urban and too many foxes.. but I can raise you slugs and snails, and tree rats and flying rats!!
 ;D

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 00:05:45 »
I use 42" (1050mm) high, 31mm mesh. Dig it 6" into the ground, angled out towards the rabbits, leaving a 3' high fence. The angling out is more important than the depth as they dig at the fence line itself and so bump their noses quickly. Ideally you should have 3 wires strained on the posts which you then hang the netting on, but for fairly small lengths I wouldn't worry too much.
     Best place to get it is farmers supply type places. Not posh garden centres. Cheap is obviously good but no point to skimp too much when you're going to a lot of trouble.
     For deer fence I think you need about 5' high. If your posts are long enough you could do the rabbit fence and then string a couple of single wires above that.
     If you do any straining of wires, do the top one first.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 16:20:06 »
If it was left to me my younger days I would of been down there with the ferret's for the rabbits and a crossbow for the deer :),

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 16:50:36 »
Reccomend you look in your local Yellow Pages for a Thatcher - they have to skip the old chicken wire they strip off, so are happy to give it away
In my experience this wire has been a metre wide with 3/4 inch holes, and perfectly good for fencing - I have built a 13 X 5 metre fruit cage with it and only paid for the wire nails  :o   ;D ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 17:02:45 »
hiya, grepmonkey, welcome to the site.. ;D

grepmonkey

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 19:48:40 »
Thanks very much for the advice - chicken wire it is!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 19:57:39 »
Welcome Grepmonkey,

hope the chicken wire solves the problem.

Enjoy the forum ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal