Author Topic: Casey Lee's recipe for Koeksusters  (Read 6577 times)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re: Casey Lee's recipe for Koeksusters
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 15:19:59 »
RIGHT!!!

Where's me South African - English dictionary...   ;D  ;D ;D

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 15:20:14 »
Oops :-[ ;D ;D
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 15:48:12 »
RIGHT!!!

Where's me South African - English dictionary...   ;D  ;D ;D

Well there is a free Afrikaans/English translator here which will give you the gist of it although like most translation software it won't be entirely accurate.
http://interpret.co.za/

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 13:28:35 »
Aah gee Baccy Man - you're no fun... ;D

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 13:42:46 »
nie lekker soos a cracker nie

marie59

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 13:57:54 »
Hello   SpringbokGirlie     from yet another South African    You made me so home sick for Koeksusters  I haven't had one in ten years.   Please could I also have the recipe?   I have never made them before but I am dying to try.  Well done you   Thanks     

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 14:32:53 »
Hello Marie59 its caseylee welcome to the sa afrikaans koeksister page lol, my recipe for koeksisters is ont eh recipe section, they are just like back home and you can't just have one lol.  Whereabouts in sa are you from

marie59

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 12:53:29 »
I am from Joburg but originally from the eastern cape     So I really enjoyed the South Coast and Durban for most holidays and happy days.   Where about are you from?       Do you have an allotment I am mad about mine.  My family think I am daft as I spend all of my spare time there and thats a lot of time now as I have retired and hate house work.   ;D

marie59

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 13:02:04 »
 ??? Guess what I am a bit thick I can't find the recipe please tell me how to go about finding it   thanks by the way   :)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 13:04:33 »

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 15:01:47 »
I am from Umbilo in durban.  I do have a allotment, which I am trying so hard to get up and running in between my boys and work.  Its getting there just slower than I expected.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 15:17:39 »
Hello my fellow south africans...

Casey have you got a recipe for Vetkoek???

My 4 Gemsquash seedlings are nearly a foot high now!!  Im really excited about them :-)

Welcome to the koeksuster thread Marie :D  Im from Joburg too, grew up in Brackendowns in Alberton.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 15:36:08 »
Hi there - I have got a recipe at home which is foolproof.  I will try and post tonight or tomorrow.  Springbokgirlie I am jealous of your gem squash - I only planted mine last week so will have to wait for them to pop their head up.  Last year I grew gem squash and hubbard squash and SA mealies.  The old boys on the site were very impressed by the mealies especially and could not believe the size of the hubbards! :o

Welcome to the site Marie 59 - there are lots of us Scatterlings of Africa over here trying to tame our little piece of the UK!  I thought Africa was difficult to grow veggies but I cannot remember having to worry about carrot root fly, cabage butterflies, etc. or am I just getting old and forgetting?? ??? ???

Jitterbug

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 15:42:23 »
Caseylee sent me some gemsquash seeds.  I put them in the airing cupboard and they sprouted in a day or two.
I am trying to train them to grow up as I dont have a lot of room left in the garden.  Keeping them indoors for as long as possible.

When do you plant them out Jitterbug?

We used to worrie about fly's and mossies lol.   Your right though, dont remember having to worry about bugs on plants so much.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2008, 16:20:11 »
I used to grow radish and chillies in sa that was about it, but I agree never heard of these bugs till now, so much to remember.  I am planting my gem squash tomorrow so hopefully we have a success otherwsie I am over toyour springbokgirlie for a braai lol

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 16:27:02 »
LOL @ Casey... a braai sounds good!!!.

The sun is shining now... snow melted should I light one up ;)

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2008, 16:28:10 »
I used to grow radish and chillies in sa that was about it, but I agree never heard of these bugs till now, so much to remember.  I am planting my gem squash tomorrow so hopefully we have a success otherwsie I am over toyour springbokgirlie for a braai lol

Casey is that to germinate or to put outside?

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 16:54:54 »
I will start them off inside till they germinate, then pop them in the cold greenhouse about a week later hopefully

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2008, 17:38:23 »
I will start them off inside till they germinate, then pop them in the cold greenhouse about a week later hopefully

Your brave, Im scared I will lose them if I put them out.  Going to keep them indoors till end of May then start hardening them off.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2008, 20:35:34 »
Evening ladies  :)

Do any of you have any recipes for gemsquash please

Thanks in anticipation
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal