Author Topic: can i grow fuschias from seed?  (Read 2695 times)

debster

• Hectare
can i grow fuschias from seed?
« on: March 03, 2008, 19:26:19 »
and if so where can i buy them, i would like a mixture of colours and black if at all possible

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: can i grow fuschias from seed?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 19:35:30 »
Far easier and better from cutting, Deb's. Take a walk round the G'centers.  ;)

(Not grown too many here, just the odd one or two, but I have a pal who can answer a question or two on these beauty's.)
Ken.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 21:57:36 »
Yup, best from cuttings. I've done a few in my time, but never bothered with seed.

I guess your still fed up with the rooted plug cutting that died.  These are actually quite good, especially if you want to grow a standard, as most still have the growing tip in place.

Seeds are very variable. Cuttings are exact reproductions of the original - so you can chose you colours with certainty.

If you wait for another month or so, there will be small bushy plants available in 3.5inch pots. Perhaps you will get on better with these.

I think those that grow from seed, only do it for hybridization reasons.

(  I keep my rooted plug cuttings on the windowsill until late April, when they're about 12-18 inches high. Only then do I put them outside, and still be prepared to bring them in if frost is forecast. )

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 22:13:51 »
not bothered about losing the plant just fancied a challenge that was all

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:04:56 »
A challenge, eh? Try growing banana seed.... :D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 21:56:38 »
I agree debster, fuchsias are better grown from cuttings.

But, they are quite easily grown from seed.  If you look in the seed catalogues the varieties on offer are a bit nondescript single varieties.  Your best bet is to get some seed pods in August/September of the large double flowered varieties.  You may end up with a fantastic new variety (unlikely, but possible).

You say you like 'black' varieties.  I (hopefully they have survived my mistreatment) have two 'black' varieties - Aubergine and Roesse Blacky.

It's a long way off, but I could let you have some seeds in the Autumn, taken from hanging baskets.

valmarg

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 12:08:26 »
that would be wonderful valmarg thank you. i think my biggest problem at the moment is i want to be doing something but cant do too much cos i dont have a greenhouse to put out veg etc so trying to do stuff that will stay safely indoors but give me something to do til i can let loose on my veg lol  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal