Author Topic: courgettes  (Read 1003 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
courgettes
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:19:55 »
My courgettes are getting there a the moment, should I wait a few more weeks till I put them into the cold greenhouse, same with my cucumbers

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: courgettes
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:40:11 »
What size pots are they in at the moment?

5rod

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 13:17:16 »
HI 5 ROD HERE
I WOULD NOT SOW COURGETTS TILL APRIL.PLANT OUT
NOT BEFOR JUNE,ITS TO COLD.IF THEY LIVEYOUR
BE LUCKY

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 14:15:24 »
Tend to agree - they grow very quickly once it is warmer!!! I would have said it is a bit cold for them yet... you can definitely sow more in April, and plant them out mid-may if it is quite warm, cloche at night  if it's still a bit cool, they will soon take off. You seem to have been a bit impatient there  ;)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 16:47:21 »
I was thinking that although you are very early, if you pot on into 5" pots and can keep them reasonably warm  you might get lucky and find April is warm enough to plant them out.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 17:18:05 »
I planted some last year this time but kept them inside and they did ok, but never had a greenhouse to put them in, will see how they go, the plants are very strong at the moment and are loving the sunshine through my bay window

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 17:26:10 »
I made the mistake of starting too early last year and had to start again in April. I know it's hard to be patient, but it pays off in the end! :D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 20:21:52 »
I sow my courgettes about 5 - 6 weeks before the last outside frost - so mid April, they have to live on the bedroom windowsill and then in the cold frame until it's safe for them outside.

They grow so quickly that the first year when i sowed them in late March they were like triffids and took over the bedroom, not just the allocated spot on the windowsill  ;D So I had to put them out to early - we had a late May frost and they didn't make it despite being covered up in the cold frame.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal