Author Topic: fleeceor bubblewrap?  (Read 1617 times)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
fleeceor bubblewrap?
« on: March 06, 2008, 12:12:53 »
 :-\ :-\     Can anyone tell me which is best for protecting seedlings in a cold  greenhouse, is it fleece or bubblewrap? Thanks all.

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: fleeceor bubblewrap?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 14:36:46 »
I prefer fleece.  You can get condensation on the underside of bubblewrap, which  can cause trouble.

Another thing in favour of fleece is its cheaper.  You can get some really  good bargains in shops like Poundland, Poundstretcher, Home Bargains, etc.

valmarg

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 18:31:56 »
I will be putting bubble wrap on the walls of the g'house . Then fleece plants as needed when its very cold. I would never put b'wrap in contact with the leaves either as it creates too much moisture as Valmarg said
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 13:19:57 »
Thanks Star and Valmarge,  looks like its going to be fleece.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 10:12:10 »
I use these in different ways to get the best advantage from them;

Bubble wrap I use as a lining to the greenhouse only, and as someone said it has a tendency to create condensation this is not good for plants.

Fleece is not much good as a lining at least for temperature control but is quite good for shading.

Fleece is best used on top of the plants as this gives minimum air space between the general area of the greenhouse and the plants.

As it is light enough it does not do much damage when lying on the plants although some wire hoops to form a cloche is even better.

Note: the same applies when you are using it out doors keep it off the soil otherwise it acts like a wet Tee shirt and does very little good at all.

Another thing in favour of fleece is its cheaper.

This might be true but there are basically two types of fleece 'spun & woven'

Spun is much cheaper but does not last very long (possibly one season) woven is stronger and a bit more expensive but it will last for a few years given care.

Just thought I would mention this!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal