Author Topic: Best boy names?  (Read 7589 times)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
Re: Best boy names?
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 09:57:56 »
by the way, the boyfriend knows a man called John Thomas, and a local builder is called Robert Sole, so imagion that Rsole, terrible !!!

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2008, 10:07:05 »
We had a Levi in our family tree, about 150 years ago!!

Nick65

• Not So New ...
    • www.thepinksugarmouse.com
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2008, 10:07:20 »
I think they said it best in The Young Ones when Vyvian said

P*ss Off or Ba*tard - They'd be handy for a fight
Dentists be warned!! - DON'T Look at my website it'll increase your business :))

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2008, 10:09:52 »
I named my baby boy George, and love it :) :)

Seconded, George is a great name and my baby would have been called George had she not turned out to be a girl.  Not fond of Georgina.   ::)

G x

I named my daughter Georgina as I love the name but she is always called Georgie.She now has a son of her own called Jacob.If she had had a daughter she was going to call her scarlet :oShe loves that name but I am not so sure.
My sons are John and Richard.Really popular at the time but not now. :)

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2008, 10:20:09 »
My boys are called Rowan and Frazer - they both really suit their names too and i love them. Wanted to call one Liam as thats my name - maybe in the future!

Daughter is called Scarlett - had to be spelt with 2 t's though.
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2008, 12:48:52 »
We named our first born Simon after a friend's little boy that we adored.  However, when we returned south from living in Scotland, Simon, who had picked up a Scottish accent, was called Haggis by his new schoolfriends.  This was shortened over the years to Hag though we still call him Simon.

I like the name Dylan as that is my grandson's name.  However, we have still found that people spelt his name wrong especially when he was at playgroup.  They used to put Dillon or Dylon on his drawings.

I think it is really important to get a first name that goes with the surname and to chose something that is not going to date over time. 

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2008, 16:47:04 »
Dont you feel sorry for Samantha Janus's brother Hugh?

laura G

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2008, 18:19:55 »
When i was expecting my partner and i couldnt agree on a boys name, so we went through the football team he supported and came up with tobias, well i quite liked toby untill my mum told me that where she comes from in scotland it is another word for *a male appendage*, so i was put off that one.

Before i met my partener i really liked the name Sky for a girl unfortunately my partners name is luke walker, i thought it would be cruel, so we went for Alyssa and it suits her down to the ground.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2008, 18:39:38 »
It took us ages to name our son. I had a book of Welsh names. I had just finished a computing course and wrote something to compare OH's list of names with  mine. Wasn't sure it worked - no names in common after 15 apiece. After 20, we had a match then decided we didn't like it. We then settled on Osian. There is another Osian in his class, who was born 3 weeks before (his mother and I went to the aquanatal sessions but I didn't know what she named him).
Somewhere, I read that Brendan (?) meant - with stinking hair.
A cousin wanted to name her son Richard Edward.... However, she liked both names so he's called Richard Thomas (?) Edward .....
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2008, 18:51:11 »
Sarah was Bramwell not the Bronte brother?

As a teacher I have come across Hazel Nutt and Val(erie) Garrity!!! So care is required.

My boys are James Lindsay (family name rather then first name) and he hates the Lindsay. Luckily his girlfriend is Norwegian and doesn't care!

Second son is Guy Maxwell - gets called MAx at home and Guy at work. He likes the separate personae.

I don't think it really matters that much - the child grows to fit the name...

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2008, 22:18:37 »
I believe the bronte brother was Branwell with an 'n'.  the only other Bramwells i have found are a bear from a story book and an edwardian lady doctor off the telly. 

You are quite right about people growing into their names.  i cant imagine my two by any other names.

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2008, 22:39:30 »
My little lad (14 months) is Ethan Jack. Jack was probably our first choice initially but as soon as he was born, he just looked more like an Ethan somehow!..

A few people have said Ethan is a lovely (even biblical?) name - but I'm afraid I have to admit that I picked it as I'm a Mission Impossible fan!.. (Ethan Hunt - Tom Cruise's character).

I used to work in a jobcentre a few years back and we had an Axel Rose signing on and a Felix Fireball!

(both had changed their names by deedpole needless to say)

I also currently work with a scandinavian guy called Hans-Christian Andersen (yes really!)

You really have to be careful what you pick and think of all possible ways it can be read - i.e. I also work with a C Shaw

The worst potential would have to be Warwick Hunt?!...
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2008, 22:43:10 »
My two sons are called William and George, My sister's son is Edward and my brother's is called James. All English kings, but just by coincidence.

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2008, 23:02:20 »
I am afraid I like traditional names as well, James, Joseph, David, Charles etc. But also some that are old but become modern again like Noah, or have a twist like the polish spelling of Joseph - Josef. The Celtic names are good as well - Ioan, Connor, Cormac etc, and some of the bible names. Also sometimes nice to have name that can't be shortened.

My family seem to have a tradition of the older members being called by their middle names, rather than their first names - so important that this is a good alternative if needed. Personally I can't stand my middle name.

But a few suggestions:
Aaron (hebrew - light), Boyd (celtic - yellow), Christian (follower of christ), Dylan (the sea), Jakob/Jacob (hebrew - supplanter), Jude (hebrew - praise Jehovah), Lucas (Latin), Morgan (Welsh - sea dweller), Tobias (Hebrew - god is good).

But perhaps not Pugh  ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2008, 10:17:07 »
Sorry for posting & running - I've had no internet at home for a little while & try to do work at work. Mostly...

Thanks for the replies - some good ideas here, and a reminder of trying to use appropriate family names... we're still stuck, by the way!

Not long to go now!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2008, 10:53:00 »
Look back in your family history sometimes some of the surnames make really interesting first or second names......though I'm not sure how my brother feels about having 'Stephenson' as a second name but it's nice because it's a memorial to my Dad's grandmother as it was her maiden name and he had it as a second name too.

My Dad's name was Samuel which is quite a nice name.

I found this site which might be helpful http://www.babynamesworld.com/

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2008, 22:10:09 »
We did the family middle name thing too: it was originally my son's great-great-grandmother's maiden name, given to his grandfather as a middle name and borrowed by us to keep it going.

Has the great advantage of being a Mc, so if he grows up hating his first name, he can go by Mac!

(We can't talk - both of us use our middle names. Me because I loathe my first one and Sir because there were four of them in his class at nursery, and the name had two diminutives plus the full version, so one of them had to switch completely. )

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Lee Marshall

• Not So New ...
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2008, 22:19:31 »
My son (picture shown on the left) is Harvey William Marshall

Both first names are new to our families so we didn;t favour either the John's or the Robert's as neither were picked.

Harvey came from a really nice old chap we know who breeds goldfish and William from my budgerigar mentor who has now sadly past away.

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2008, 06:55:01 »
Marcus
Elliot
Oliver
Vincent
Paul

wiltshire lass

• Quarter Acre