Author Topic: Best boy names?  (Read 7588 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Best boy names?
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 16:04:04 »
my neice has called hers Sage Thomas, a friend has picked Neo
mine are Paul and Alan, Ray's poor dad is Roland George William, my dad was Thomas Theodore, dad's was from italian Theodoro, grandad was Christopher,
try to think of a man you think is a lovely person, that always influenced me  ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 16:04:29 »
When I was born, many moons ago, my grandfather wanted me called Robin, my mother did not like the name as she thought it a feminine name. So she registered me as Robert but called me Robin when the family were around so as not to upset her father. All went well until the christening and all the family were there so she told the vicar my name was Robin, I was christened and called that forever after. I only use Robert on official  forms because they insist on the name thats on the birth certificate.

I think there should be a temporary name given until the child is old enough to chose their own.

I would have had Eric Bloodaxe.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 16:22:59 »
That's made it hard for you, Ollie!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Tuscan Beaneater

Angelah

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 16:46:57 »
Problem I had choosing names for my two boys, was that at the time I was a teacher. As well as trying to find a name that hubby and I agreed on, which was hard enough in itself, was the fact that I had taught a large number of shall we say 'difficult' boys, which had put me off loads of names!!!

For No.1 son I liked Benjamin, but hubby was against it, until a particular England rugby match in which both Benjamins in the team played really well!!! so that was sorted.

For No.2 son we again had trouble agreeing but eventually settled on William.

All was fine until someone mentioned, ooooh, it's Bill and Ben, flobba, dobba, etc!!!! Hubby nearly changed both names on the spot!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 17:24:29 »
Funny name stories.

I wanted to call my first born Candida...well I didn't know then what I know now!!

On one son we were really stuck,we were down to 5 choices and couldn't decide so we thought the baby could do it himself. We put the names on paper in a hat and popped the babies hand in, like babies do he grabbed on and pulled out Gareth, we heard a huge explosion of wind followed by a squelch as poop came running out of the leg of his nappy...we gave him another pick!!

We almost got a child at school called Cocky, and were all very relieved when his Mum took him to the other school.

Good luck,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 19:07:30 »
Ours are a very restrained Philip James and Andrew David, still a waste of two good names in my opinion. In Utero the eldest was known as Iggy and the other Issy...  after two great Saints.. Loyola and Seville!!!!
 ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 20:06:38 »
Robert

What are the male names in your family - dad's, grandfather's etc.

Once I had started to delve into our family history, I discovered a whole range of names that we could have used - we all seem to have forgotten the tradition of using family names.

Sadly by the time I was interested in genealogy, the youngest was 4!

Here are the male names in our family:

Ian, Daniel, Peter, William, Kenneth, Philip, John, Henry (Harry), Thomas, Frederick, Zacharias (honest!)

Whatever you choose, think how it will sound with the surname and if in doubt listen to the Johnny Cash song - a boy name Sue.........

Best of luck

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 20:37:49 »
In our tree we have  incorrectly spelled Enoch married to a incorrectly spelled Uranier, ( several different spellings on different records)

We now call them Eunoch and Uraemia .

Dads middle  name is Harness
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 20:48:34 »
Unusual I know but I quite like the sound of KEVIN, what do you reckon.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 21:40:28 »
Matrilinial names were still quite common when I was brought up in the wilds of the Lancashire Pennines...
I had an uncle Ash(worth) Kenyon and names like Mitchell were quite Normal.. one of my uncles was Ewart (from Gladstone I think)..
 ::)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 21:56:35 »
I named my baby boy George, and love it :) :)

Seconded, George is a great name and my baby would have been called George had she not turned out to be a girl.  Not fond of Georgina.   ::)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 22:13:29 »
Ours would have been Rachel Helen...
 :-\

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 22:16:59 »
When you have to admit patients and get all their info etc. (Debster knows what I mean) It never ceases to amaze me just how many of the older generation were christened say, Herbert but..."People always call me Sid". You get their files sent up to the ward with them, and you have to ask what they like to be called as it's hardly ever what it says on the front of their notes. It's the same for women too. Very strange.  :o
Another thing that I find odd is why do people name their kids say, David Thomas, then call them by the second name? ::).
My friend Janice wanted a name that couldn't be shortened so she picked Mark, but what did the kids do? they added, and called him Marky  ;D

Check out this site for some suggestions

http://www.gurgle.com/tools/baby_names/Origin/default.aspx

P.S My sister was known as IT for 42 days as nobody could agree on a name for her.  ::)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 22:46:57 »
When choosing the offspring's name I wanted something that was a little unusual, wasn't after anyone in the family (and thus couldn't offend the 'other side') and would be based on someone fine, upstanding, law abiding and principled. During the awaited arrival, re-runs of the old black and white 'Untouchables' were showing on late night TV. That decided it - he was named Elliott... after Robert Stack.

As for unusual, I recall a nurse, on hearing that name so lovingly chosen, rolling her eyes and exclaiming "ANOTHER Elliott!!" Apparently there were five more in the hospital.

Some weeks earlier the movie ET had come out. Unusual? PAH!    >:(
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 23:05:43 »
I like Stan cause thats my name and I'm biased.
 :P

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 23:09:59 »
I have only one son (and two daughters) and he is called Oran Henry John...  I like names that are a bit different but not outlandish.  They have a Irish surname so their names fit all right.  The girls are Sorcha Mary Jayne and Ceara Emily Jade.  The normal middle names (as well as being family names) are so they have a choice when they are older.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 23:58:10 »
I called my eldest son Casey Lee, cause I was convinced he was a girl and the name was going to be cassandra lee, so we just shortned it, I love the name not very common at all.  My youngest son was called Mitchell, cause my maiden name was mitchell, and there are only girls in our family, so the name died the days we all married.  It was a way to carry on my family name and make my dad very proud.

*Joanne*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 01:05:59 »
My sister had trouble naming her second i said leo as a joke and thats what he was called i really like the name now.
I would like to be a glow-worm.
A glow-worm's never glum.
Its hard to be downhearted
When the sun shines out your bum.

Joanne

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 09:15:06 »
We still have the baby name book we bought to help us choose, and the lists we made are still in it too, much to the hilarity of our kids! 'You were thinking of calling me WHAT!'....apparently I would have been called Stephen if I were a boy?!

We ended up with Alexandra Flora....I was really tempted to call her Flora (particularly because of the gardening connection!), but my nephew put me off when I was still pregnant by asking me what names we were thinking of, and then saying 'margarine...you can't call her that!' which put me off a bit. I still call her 'Flo sometimes!

Our son ended up as Cameron Duncan...eventually named by our GP, who was horrified we still hadn't named him when he did his postnatal visit at 5 days old. He went through our very short list of contenders, and he said he liked Cameron the best as he knew someone of that name who was a thoroughly nice chap....OK then! I think his name was quite appropriate as he was born with a broken nose, and the name Cameron means 'crooked nose'!

He would have been Tilda if he was a girl, I've always been a huge Tilda Swinton admirer, all those arty films I watched . My midwife friend who looked after me in labour hated it, and said she would refuse to put it on her name bands after the birth if we stuck with it!!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 09:47:45 »
I love the old names, its personal choice, without being offensive cant stand modern chav names or modern yuppie boys names Finn, chester.  Give me an old fashioned name anyday, Samuel, George, Connor etc etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal