Author Topic: earth quake  (Read 4303 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: earth quake
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 09:19:07 »
I was in my kitchen at the time and wondered what was going on as I opened the fridge door and it started shaking! It seemed to only last 5 seconds and my first thought was that there had been an explosion that I didn't hear...sign of the times i suppose.... I came upstairs and went to Reuters online to see if anything had been reported....zilch at that moment so went to bed. Both kids woke up saying they were shaken awake!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 09:20:30 »
I knew what it was before it woke me it occured in my dream as an earthquake where it didn't seem abnormal.
When I woke and realised my bed was moving back and forwards and it sounded like a train coming through, I was more worried than I would be in NZ where I have experienced a lot of earthquakes. Because my first thought was they don't build houses here to withstand earthquakes of this magnitude!

So much for practising earthquake drill when I was a child though, I stayed right where I was!

My oldest son slept through the whole thing and didn't know about it until this morning....he did that in NZ as a baby and we had a swarm of earthquakes the year he was born. My younger son got up to complain about whoever was up making a noise and waking him up.

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 09:21:01 »
Very close here in Gainsborough and we have TV cameras etc. out in force because it fetched a few chimney pots down. Nice to see that the TV licence money is being put to good use!!!!

One member Mikey is at North Willingham so they must have been very near the epi-centre.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 09:37:49 »
Woke me the wife and son it was strange looking out the bed room window to see lights going on in bedroom windows and there neighbours peering out. My son remarked this is how Cloverfield started. :o

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 10:35:58 »
I was sitting on the settee watching telly.The settee trembled for a few seconds and having had a few glasses of wine I thought some stuff stored behind the settee had fell forward.We are in Meriden. :o
We really felt the one a few years back,the epicentre was in Dudley. :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 11:28:10 »
the epicentre was just south of Grimsby. Apparently it caused thousands of £s of improvements

:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 11:32:52 »
Came into the kitchen & all the cupboard doors were open!!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 13:19:49 »
Magnitude 4.7
Date-Time Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 00:56:45 UTC
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 12:56:45 AM at epicenter

Location 53.321°N, 0.314°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
Distances 50 km (30 miles) S of Kingston upon Hull, England, UK
70 km (45 miles) NE of Nottingham, England, UK
80 km (50 miles) E of Sheffield, England, UK
205 km (125 miles) N of LONDON, United Kingdom

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 6.8 km (4.2 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 50, Nph= 50, Dmin=291.4 km, Rmss=1.02 sec, Gp= 54°,
M-type=body magnitude (Mb), Version=7
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2008nyae
Nothing to do with it being in Lincolnshire or 25 miles North East of Lincoln or about 6 miles away from Market Rasen.  People who live in Lincoln/Lincolnshire will know why this stands out and why it pees me off.  Quake was in Lincolnshire, where was Look Hull's first report from - yes bloody Hull!!
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 15:09:07 »
Felt it in Essex - sounded like a very heavy lorry going past the house, but lasting for longer and without the engine. Remember thinking that I was glad we had put the extra steel beam in to support the second floor.....then went back to sleep!

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 15:17:09 »

Nothing to do with it being in Lincolnshire or 25 miles North East of Lincoln or about 6 miles away from Market Rasen.  People who live in Lincoln/Lincolnshire will know why this stands out and why it pees me off.  Quake was in Lincolnshire, where was Look Hull's first report from - yes bloody Hull!!
[/quote]

Here in France it was announced only as "north of London"  !   :-[   ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 16:28:16 »
My 4 year old G'daughter, Shana, rang me to say the earthquake has made a real mess of her bedroom. Her mother rang me to let me know there was no panic...the mess was there before the quake!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 17:31:36 »
Well here in ' bloody Hull'  we have had enough,we don't want the earthquakes , that is one reason John a nd I  left the West  Coast of Canada, but we are expecting a plague of locusts next !!

I hope everyone is OK, not a nice thing..

XX Jeanninr

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 18:43:22 »
We felt a big rumble here in Tadcaster.Didn't realise what it was until this morning, thought it was just the really strong wind!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 19:36:21 »
In Birmingham, I was watching Shameless, I felt a small shudder and just thought the wind was getting bit strong.

Nothing like the tremor Birmingham had last year/year befor last. Or even the tornado that hit Kings Heath (South Birmingham).

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 19:59:35 »
Stronger than the one in Birmingham by a geologically significant margin - just not in Birmingham!
September 2002 - Dudley, West Midlands (5.0)
February 2008 - Ludford, Lincolnshire (5.3)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 20:19:54 »
Felt nothing and heard nothing here in West London and would probably have put it down to an illegal night flight going into Heathrow. ::)

What I want to know tho is this - why were so many of you still awake at silly o'clock this morning!!  I was fast asleep by 11pm, so now does that make me boring or are you all insomniacs?

Don't reply, I think I already know the answer to that one :-[

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 20:32:20 »
Actually I feel annoyed with myself. I rarely go to bed before 2am and last night I went at midnight!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 20:34:00 »
told ya, ming the merciless strikes again  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2008, 20:40:21 »
Nothing here, mind you I'd have slept through it, OH says she wouldn't notice through my snoring, as if I snore, everyone knows its the women who snore.   :-X     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2008, 20:44:02 »
Manics, no one will know what that means LOL, we should find the old post.

My son phoned first thing from Holland thinking Hull had been creamed !!

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal