Author Topic: Vegetables to grow in shade areas  (Read 18347 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Vegetables to grow in shade areas
« on: February 26, 2008, 21:43:36 »
I have a section behind my greenhouse that is always in shade but a nice place to plant.  Pls can anyone recommend any vegetables I can grow there that prefer shady areas

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Vegetables to grow in shade areas
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 21:49:45 »
Lettuce doesn't mind a bit of shade, I think I remember someone here saying parsnips don't mind partial shade either
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 22:29:15 »
Grow early vegetables such as spring cabbage, winter lettuce and broad beans (Aquadulce). Sow in early autumn so they are well established by early spring.
Shade tolerant vegetables (shade for more than half a day) like beetroot, 'Bolthardy', calabrese, kale, kohl rabi, lettuce – little gem. Also radish, spinach and herbs - chives, mint and parsley are all shade tolerant. Fruit such as raspberries, blackcurrants, gooseberry and rhubarb are plants of the woodland edge and will thrive in this environment.
Asparagus cultivated in the normal way a very acceptable crop can be gathered in half shade although the spears may be a little thin. Choose a vigorous, all male cultivar.
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 00:00:46 »
Hi there-shade question aswell!  My plot runs East to west, right now my South side doesn't get much sun due to the fence, but the blackberries that I just hacked down seemed to have flurished there!  Am I right in thinking that it will get more sun during summer months as the sun will be higher and up longer?  That sounds really dumb, I am thinking of doing spuds in bags and carrots in tubs along the fence on this side.  It's my first year and with all the other digging of beds I won't have time to get to getting all the bramble roots out.  I will keep some brambles but train them along the fence, there were just so many!!!!!!!!!!!!  There, that is my story, sorry it was so long winded!!!!!! Twirlie ???

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 00:33:10 »
one of our star shadey veg last year and still now has been american land cress - it tastes very similar to watercress for salads and sarnies and we tried a watercress soup recipe with it at the weekend that was lovely! definately plant some more this year as it just seems to keep coming back and back the frost hasnt hurt it at all  ;D

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:15:54 »
what about carrots and parsnips, and radishes do they need a lot of sunshine

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 10:55:45 »
Hi there-shade question aswell!  My plot runs East to west, right now my South side doesn't get much sun due to the fence, but the blackberries that I just hacked down seemed to have flurished there!  Am I right in thinking that it will get more sun during summer months as the sun will be higher and up longer?  That sounds really dumb, I am thinking of doing spuds in bags and carrots in tubs along the fence on this side.  It's my first year and with all the other digging of beds I won't have time to get to getting all the bramble roots out.  I will keep some brambles but train them along the fence, there were just so many!!!!!!!!!!!!  There, that is my story, sorry it was so long winded!!!!!! Twirlie ???
Don't know what kind of brambles you're talking about, but our blackberry roots Run - run- RUN everywhere!  If we improve the soil near them, that's where they grow- a continual fight.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 20:17:30 »
Yep Blackberry!!!  Yes they are everywhere, mainly along the South Fence but popping up elsewhere due to running underground.  I am working my way accross the plot making nice beds one at a time, getting the little roots out as I go.    Can but go one step at a time, frustrated at the mo thoiugh as I have a bad back!  Old dancing injury!  No digging :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal