Author Topic: Fruit bushes  (Read 832 times)

wendsbends

• Not So New ...
Fruit bushes
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:42:42 »
I have bought a couple of small fruit bushes from Lidl, blueberry and gooseberry.  When can I plant them out on the allotment?  Do I need to wait until the frosty mornings stop or are they quite hardy and can be planted out now.

They are in the small boxes that they came in covered in plastic on the root, should I just leave them as they are in our utility room or pot them up until the frost passes?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 23:13:34 »
They should be able to be planted as long as the ground isn't frozen solid - a bit of frost won't hurt them as they should be dormant now. If you have to wait, I'd pot them up, put them somewhere really cool, don't leave them as they are. One thing that often happens with fruit plants sold in these stores is that they get too warm and start to wake up before it's the right time.
Bear in mind that your blueberry will need acidic soil (ericaceous) and may do better in a pot anyway so that you can give it the right soil. And watering only with rainwater helps too.

wendsbends

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:10:10 »
Thank you will sort it out this weekend. ;)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 12:31:00 »
warning to anyone who hasnt opened their aldi etc fruit bushes they are already srouting in the package well mine were anyway

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal