Author Topic: Trip to the tip  (Read 1731 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Trip to the tip
« on: February 24, 2008, 19:43:02 »
I had to have a clear out in the garage, so off to the tip with the rubbish. Backed up to the bay and started unloading all the junk into the recycling skips, then the bloke in the next skip says 'where do I put this wood'. Straight in the back of my truck. 2 very old oak lutyens style garden benches in need of t l c. I took them home and have been stripping and rebuilding them. They have come up a treat, all jointed and not a screw to be seen. I shall have to redesign a bit of my garden now, so they will fit in without being out of place.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Trip to the tip
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 19:52:22 »
Hey, when you get a freebie and can make use of it, doesn't it make you feel good? Congrats ACE  ;D
Of course we need to see photographic evidence too  ::)

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 20:00:16 »
How's that for timing!!!
Check the photo comp......... :D
Ken.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 23:10:12 »
WOW! You lucky beggar! And TWO of them!!

Have they got that sort-of 'square/oblong' pattern in the wood? And what wood are they made of, do you think?

Really pleased a) for your find 8) and b) that something not connected with sneezes, spots or similar's happened for you - at last  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 23:30:55 »
Don't sit down till you check for woodworm LOL

Smashing  find, I am jealous XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 00:47:22 »
darednt go to my local tip, always end up bringing more stuff home!!  drives the other half mad! still, i could spend all day there watching what people chuck out, it amazes me as half of the stuff thats chucked away you could find a use for .

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 08:32:42 »
duh! see that ACE answered my question in his post :-[...got carried away with the 'luytens-style' bit....

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 13:46:52 »
I just love it when that happens, lucky you, those benches sound fab. Best thing I have ever scrounged at the tip was a huge gravel rake and a superb old wooden handled hoe that a chap was about to throw in.... ;D ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 17:21:07 »

Really pleased a) for your find 8) and b) that something not connected with sneezes, spots or similar's happened for you - at last  ;D

Have you seen the advert for the clever/dumb balance? Well I needed a bit of oak to make a new piece on the bench that was rotten, so off I go into the woods where I know there is an oak limb that was taken off a year or so ago. I was pulling the limb out of the brambles when it came loose in a hurry springing one big branch straight back into my face. Black eye, bent nose, fat lip, bleeding like a stuck pig and wrecked a £250 pair of glasses. Not such a bargain today!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 17:23:49 »
ouch hope youre ok ACE

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 19:36:44 »
ACE, I think your two examples sum up the old John Denver song 'Some days are diamonds, some days are stone'!

Before seeing your second posting was having a laugh with OH re your 'windfall' of wood.

'You don't throw good wood away' was his comment.

OH is a bit of a bodger and codger, but quite often he comes up with useful gadgets.

valmarg

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 15:49:32 »
Ace you sound a bit accident prone - wasn't it you that tipped over that digger round Christmas time?  Can't remember who it was really!

Can you claim on your household insurance for the glasses?

Worth checking!

Best wishes

Old Bird ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 16:19:11 »
Ace you sound a bit accident prone

Do you know it is happening more and more lately, I've nearly got my own cubicle in casualty. Sad to say I think it is more down to having 'senior moments'. My wife who is considerably younger than me has taken to calling me a silly old fart fool. She works for social services in the adult protection dept. and reckons she's at work even when she comes home.

I am officially retired but I need to work as I get bored, which gets me into all sorts of scrapes, not a liability yet, but not far off.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal