Author Topic: to seed or not to seed  (Read 1113 times)

cliffe.kent

• Not So New ...
to seed or not to seed
« on: February 22, 2008, 22:42:16 »
Today we had a JCB in levelling and spreading lots of probably centuries old compost on our site. We have cleared to allow this to happen, is it true sowing the "poached egg plant" will deter couch grass from regrowing?

betula

• Hectare
Re: to seed or not to seed
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 22:46:53 »
I have not heard of that one.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 22:55:11 »
Neither have I, but if it doesnt you'll have lots of couch with pretty flowers in between, coz as Im sure you know once poached egg plant goes to seed............. ::)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 23:15:08 »
Yes like Forget Me Not ,but I do love them so,I don't have the heart to pull them out. :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 11:19:17 »
I think it is only some of the tagetes family that are supposed to deter couch grass by exuding something from their roots that disagrees with it...I tried growing tagetes 'minuta' last year....no germination from the whole packet sown three different times so I gave up!

I think poached egg plants are popular for attracring pollinating insects to lotties, that what I grow them for, but they are like forget me nots, once you have them....... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 15:32:28 »
Perhaps a green manure might be better?

I struggled with the minuta as well - eventually used a lot of heat to get them going. Then they got eaten by birds.  Will try one more time this year - and let them get bigger before planting out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal