Author Topic: UK Flowers  (Read 1924 times)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
UK Flowers
« on: February 23, 2008, 18:39:33 »
If you had to send some seeds to a Canadian friend, what would you send to them that depicts a true UK flower.

I thought maybe Cornflower's but would like others opinions on this as I grow mainly veg so am not sure about flowers.

Many thanks,

Siinbad

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: UK Flowers
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 19:10:21 »
First define what is a true UK flower.

For traditional cottage garden plants there are the self seeding annuals bienniels etc such as Alyssum, wallflower, honesty, pansy, forget-me-not, sweet william, etc.

Quite frankly just about most of the flower section of seed catalogues covers it.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 19:13:48 »
Yes Eristic but I didn't want to send them something that was easy to get hold of in Canada.  They are sending me some Hosta seeds so I offered to send them something English, when I asked what they would like they said they would leave it to me, and of course I didn't have a clue, so thought I would ask here.

Sinbad

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 20:10:03 »
There must be traditional English flowers that aren't all over the catalogues. What about old-fashioned pot marigolds?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 20:39:43 »
Like Eristic, I'm a great fan of cottage garden flowers and there are lots to choose from.  Or you might consider sending some native wild flowers.  But before you send anything, do you know what the growing conditions will be?  I should imagine a country as vast as Canada has a multitude of micro climates and you'd want to be sure that you sent something that has a good chance of survival.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 20:45:12 »
What part of Canada are you talking about.

The flowers mentioned already are all available in Canada, when I lived there I could not find bluebells, cowslips or Pride of London.

I will try and think on some more, I have a few Canadian seed catalogues here still

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 20:47:09 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 21:42:21 »
I think theres nothing more British than English Bluebells or English Lavender. Possibly daises planted in a lawn/meadow.

How about about a Thistle or a Leak if your not quite English.

What about something from a hedgerow - hawthorn, cowslip, cow parsley, blackberry brambles, elderberry.

Marrows or beetroot ?

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 21:53:37 »
Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

It is Peterborough Ontario Jeannine.  They have a short growing season and their winters are very, very cold.

Sinbad

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 00:42:41 »
Hi, yes you are right they do have a very short season, I lived on the West Coast and we had the opposite weather.

I have found 1 Canadaian catalogue but everthing is pretty much there.

I think my advise would be to send a packet of British Wildflowers, perennials would be good, I think Mr Fotheringill does these.

I have a packet of seeds here  froma packet called Heritage Seeds to Remember
the packet I have are Marigolds called Tall Scotch Prize , on the back it gives the history of this seed,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 01:45:27 »
Many thanks Jeannine, will go for the Mr Fothergills British Wildflowers.

You've come up trumps again  :)

Sinbad

ox

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 16:03:15 »
WO WO WO

You can not post flora to other county's I'm sure it is against the law please check this before you do you could send a disease over there and wipe out a species of stuff that are prone to diseases that we have on our plants.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 19:39:36 »
Thanks for that jim will check first.

Sinbad

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal