Author Topic: raised beds  (Read 4311 times)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Re: raised beds
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 14:20:31 »
What do you use for paths P69,i go for old carpet. :)

I thought about that but there is no electric at my site so I wouldn't be able to use a vacuum cleaner ::)

Seriously though, I've not had the plots a year yet and when I got them they hadn't been cultivated for over 5 years so they were an absolute wilderness. Again see my gallery for the before and after photo's. I've spent most of the winter working bloody hard to get them like that and the paths are just bare earth at the moment.

Hi Plot 69

I think your "lazy beds" aka raised beds look marvellous! 

Well done - I should think you should re-picture yours, start a new thread, and those that can't afford the wood or haven't got the skill (like me!!) should copy yours.

Why thank you kind lady. Whilst I'm happy to take the credit for all the hard work taken to get them like that I can't take the credit for the idea.

Initially I set out to try to get at least one bed completed per visit, that includes marking out, digging weeding and de-grassing. Each bed is 16'x5' and seeing one small bed actually finished and ready to plant at the end of a session is a great deal less daunting than partly digging  a tiny part of a whole 165'x17' plot. Always look at what you've done and not what's left to do.

And like forglegs says, changing the layout, size or anything like that is easy.

I have plenty of photo's (Coming up to 500 since I took the plots on) so if anyone wants to see some more I'll gladly upload them if it'll help.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 12:18:37 »
Hi Plot 69

I would avoid putting anything on the paths and keep them as well compacted earth paths.  They will not be hidey holes for slugs and the like and they are easily kept weed free with a hoe or whatever.  I am not a fan of carpet - although between my wood borders I have wood chips but with yours I would leave them as they are.  The only main problem may be when it is wet and they get a bit sticky - but I am sure that shouldn't be a problem!

Your plot is HUGE - I doubt that I would have tackled anything that size.  How much do you have to pay for that?

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 13:47:51 »
I would avoid putting anything on the paths and keep them as well compacted earth paths.

I think I am going to keep them as they are. They do get a bit sticky but they soon dry out.

Your plot is HUGE - I doubt that I would have tackled anything that size.  How much do you have to pay for that?

Initially I started last March with two standard sized 10 rod plots, each one 165'x17'. The old boy next to me had to give up his two plots  a few weeks ago because of health problems so I took on another one... It seemed a good idea at the time.  ???

I almost have that one cleared now, it only been uncultivated for 6 months so it's not as hard work as my first two. I know I won't be able to eat all I grow but I'm a foster carer with 5 kids, I have a large group of friends and my Daughters In-Laws were fighting over my surplus last summer so there shouldn't be any waste.

The couple that have taken the other vacant plot next to me are in their 50's and are total novices. Novices to the point of thinking all the raspberry canes they inherited were weeds and digging up everything except the dandelions because they thought they were parsnips. Needless to say I spend more time tutoring than I do digging when they are there.

For me it's not about the harvesting, it's the growing that I enjoy and for some reason, masochistically maybe, I find digging very therapeutic and the exercise is good for me apparently  :-\

I pay about £26 per plot plus £3 a year to some allotment affiliation. That's a great deal cheaper than my Son pays for his gym. It's bloody good soil and worth every penny.

I've been over there every day this week, in frost, snow and thick fog and I've been totally alone every time even though the ground is very easy to dig the way it is at the moment... Can't understand why they're all waiting until summer to do their winter digging  ???

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 19:05:34 »
You've got a point there; Namissa pays hundreds per year for gym membership, while I pay a little, get it back in veg, and get exercise which is at least as good!

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 20:18:16 »
Over in wilthsire we have a swindon card, now this enables any to get discounts dependant on what you earn.  Between me and my husband and our wages combined we can only get a little discount. however for my full size plot I only pay 14.90 per year.  Now that cheaper than the lettuce and vegetables I buy on a weekly basis. IfI didden't have a swindoncard it would be 28.50 per year.  Is that about the right price around the country.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 10:50:23 »
I am selling my excess veggies to pay for seeds/rent etc.  I sold a load of Jerusalem Artichokes to a local greengrocer, which otherwise would have been left in the ground and got £22.50 for my trouble.  They are also going to take my spare rhuabarb and strawberries and anything else that I care to let them have!

I always grow too much - but it is the fun of it, and my friends and workmates do all right also!

I can't imagine the size of yours though.  On our allotments there aren't any that are that big at all!

Good luck with it!

Old Bird

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 11:34:10 »
Hi Plot 69

I would avoid putting anything on the paths and keep them as well compacted earth paths.  They will not be hidey holes for slugs and the like and they are easily kept weed free with a hoe or whatever.  I am not a fan of carpet - although between my wood borders I have wood chips but with yours I would leave them as they are.  The only main problem may be when it is wet and they get a bit sticky - but I am sure that shouldn't be a problem!

I have never had a problem with Slugs and the like under my paths the only problem i have is(apart from what colour curtans to put up in me shed to match ;) ) weeds sometimes sprout up thought it so every 2-3 weeks i turn them over, no sticky paths for me i can garden in me slippers. ;D

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:13 »
Hi Froglegs

I am sure the slugs know your name and keep well away from you and you would probably scoff them!!!

Hopefully you wear your carpet slippers and not your sittingroom or kitchen slippers on the lottie!

The trouble you must have co-ordinating the curtains with your carpets - I really think you deserve a medal!

;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 12:12:53 »
I do lazy beds as well. I find they are easier to dig, than those with wooden sides. I also only leave 12 to 16" as paths as I have only size 3 feet, and my OH only comes to the allotments to remind me I need to go back home   ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 19:42:43 »
Over the years I've tried: grass paths, wood chip paths, gravel paths, stone paths, brick and poured concrete to look like brick paths. they've all had a variety of problems. My daughter in law gave me a roll of brown woven plastic path fabric which has ended wasted hours of weeding paths. Has held up two years so far with no problems, no slugs probably because it retains heat. It doesn't look as nice as brick but so much easier to install. It is tough enough to run a wheel barrow down, water runs through it and it does not get slippery.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal