Author Topic: Bramble  (Read 1163 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Bramble
« on: February 24, 2008, 21:22:27 »
I want to grow some bramble, can I just cut some, coat it with rooting hormone and put it in the ground ?

Has anyone tried this ?

morton

• Half Acre
Re: Bramble
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 21:33:34 »
Not tried that but they do transplant easily if you dig them up.

The easy way to increase plants is to bury the growing tips [whilst still attached] either in the ground or in a pot and they will root readily. Then just cut them off when they have rooted to whatever length you want.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 21:39:33 »
Bramble's easy - turn your back and you've got an allotment-full!

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 21:57:58 »
But its so easy to control though Trevor.

Cut out all the stems that have fruited in the Autumn along with any weak growth. Then wind the long leaders along some horizontal wires and wait for next year. Tie in the additional stems that grow as you go along.

As well as providing loads of fruit it can provide an effective barrier against intruders.

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 22:19:52 »

Bramble's easy - turn your back and you've got an allotment-full!

Tell me about it, I inherited a small jungle!!!!!  Chopped it all down so I can train the new growth.  I was probably a bit harsh but I couldn't get at half of my plot and I only have a half to start with!
Twirlie :)

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:13:35 »
Not tried that but they do transplant easily if you dig them up.

The easy way to increase plants is to bury the growing tips [whilst still attached] either in the ground or in a pot and they will root readily. Then just cut them off when they have rooted to whatever length you want.
Unfortunately it is not easy to dig the source ones up.  They are being liberated from a park where a) you can not uproot them b) they will be cut back soon anyway.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal