Author Topic: Cable ties - free on your local lamposts  (Read 4153 times)

davee52uk

• Acre
Cable ties - free on your local lamposts
« on: March 31, 2008, 21:52:08 »
Cable ties are the nylon things used for tying stuff to posts lamposts etc. With a bit ingenuity they are perfectly and endlessly reusable. You can cut them off the lampost with a penknife. Then you need to jam a knife blade or similar to stop the sort of ratchet/catch stopping the serated edge of the rest of the tie, then you can open the whole thing out and use it again and again.

These are very strong and come in all colours and thicknesses. I typically use them for holding together a bean wigwam, any satchels or bags where buckles give and anything where a strong weatherproof tie is needed.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Cable ties - free on your local lamposts
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 00:46:43 »
Good Idea :)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:34:22 »
these things are a real menace when used on lamposts. a woman near where i live was blinded in one eye by inadvertently walking into the end of one which was sticking out at eye level.  i always have penknife in my bag and now make a point of removing them when i see them.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 10:14:33 »
  ;D Well written Sarah.

I thought it was just me who thought that. Every pedestrian crossing has these things sticking out at eye level, or the advertising that blocks the view of
approaching traffic. I think the companies responsible should be prosecuted for littering.

However, I`d be extremely careful before pulling out a knife of any kind on the street.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:14:04 »
Especially ones with cctv.

Use a pair of old nail clippers instead.  :D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 13:35:04 »
  ;D Well written Sarah.

I thought it was just me who thought that. Every pedestrian crossing has these things sticking out at eye level, or the advertising that blocks the view of
approaching traffic. I think the companies responsible should be prosecuted for littering.

However, I`d be extremely careful before pulling out a knife of any kind on the street.

Col

Quite so - my cousin was charged with posessing an offensive weapon - it was a fishing knife in his car & he was driving to go fishing! It all blew over in the end, but not very nice...

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 17:45:09 »
....or you could just go to B & Q where you can buy a 100 for a £1 at the moment....and not get arrested for carrying a knife.

Sorry!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 17:55:09 »
Yep our local Co-op has got them on sale 50 ties for 50p. I have bought 4 lots, nice and cheap.
Agree that the irresponsible people who use them on lamp posts should be taken to task.
When I use them in the garden I always cut them short so that Grandchildren cannot get injured.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 21:13:18 »
....or you could just go to B & Q where you can buy a 100 for a £1 at the moment....and not get arrested for carrying a knife.

Sorry!

Louise

I have checked on a police website and it is perfectly legal to carry a penknife. The blade is short enough to be legal and it is also not easily opened.

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 16:28:39 »
Also be mindfull its criminal damage to property, and if you are taking them its theft
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 16:34:56 »
You all live in a different world to me!!

I have never seen these things on lamp posts - who uses them in the first place?

Sounds like a good idea to get 100 from B & Q rather than getting knives out etc!

I will now make a point of slowing down by every lamp post I see to see what you lot all take for granted!
 Gosh I do lead a sheltered life!!

Old Bird

;D

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 18:25:54 »
 :)

As a pedestrian living, working and allotmenteering in busy city areas I have to walk by and cross lots of busy roads so I get to see things people who drive to places never see. One annoyance, as discussed is zip ties and advertising at pedestrian crossings, on lamposts etc. I see it as litter.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 13:04:09 »
Everyday when I walked my son to school I come across lot's of this stuff. But I have no idea, as to how after I've cut it off.  Surely it don't work any longer. I'm itching to take it off the railings.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal