Author Topic: blood fish and bone  (Read 1643 times)

debster

• Hectare
blood fish and bone
« on: February 16, 2008, 21:11:55 »
ok i asked about the fleece but i also bought blood fish and bone what do i use it on please?  :D isnt it sad if you guys told me to buy and yellow submarine for growing spuds in i probably would  ::)  8)
thats cos i love and trust you all so much lol  ;D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: blood fish and bone
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 21:17:42 »
Oh now don't be silly Debs - everyone knows you need a scale model of the Cutty Sark for spuds - TSK TSK!    ::)
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 21:21:08 »
well i didnt see youre not teaching me properly!!! ill cry  :'(

anyway there were no cutty sarks in poundland would a cadburys flake easter egg work?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 21:24:03 »
If they get a good offer on round the bed brushes they make the best pea sticks on the world, and if you buy the pink ones it keeps the pidgeons off. ::)

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 21:25:59 »
dont pigeons like pink then?

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 21:41:52 »
Round our way they have a distinct preference for metallic blue... which reminds me, must get to the carwash soon.

;D

Serious answer to your BFB question:

Blood, Fish & Bone is a balanced, slow release fertilizer. Apply it in the spring and gently work it into the top few inches of soil. It's also a good tonic throughout the season for anything needing a bit of oomph. If planting a shrub, bung in a bit of BFB beforehand.

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 21:53:49 »
Blood, Fish & Bone is a balanced, slow release fertilizer.

Plant little pockets of said BFB about every 9" across the plot buried about 2-3inch deep. Have a little holiday and when you come back you will find the foxes have gone mad trying to dig up the bones that you hid. Simply rake soil level and plant seeds. 8)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 21:59:53 »

Serious answer to your BFB question:

Blood, Fish & Bone is a balanced, slow release fertilizer. Apply it in the spring and gently work it into the top few inches of soil. It's also a good tonic throughout the season for anything needing a bit of oomph. If planting a shrub, bung in a bit of BFB beforehand.

Also BF&B is the organic feed, as opposed to growmore,

However, it is not the vegetarian choice.

valmarg

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 16:16:42 »
I have tortoises  and they eat all the veg I grow but they can't have chemicals on any of it.  Would fish blood and bones still be ok to use or has it got any chemicals in it that would be seen as harmful

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 16:23:54 »
Tortoises, now I am really jealous. I have wanted another one of those for years.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 16:25:52 »
They are lovely little things but all my hard work id for them they love the fresh veg picked from the garden, unlike my boys lol

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 16:30:32 »
It is time enough to put out Fish blood & bone a few days before planting to do so before is a bit of a waste. (In my humble opinion)

To explain;

The 'fish' part is primarily  phosphate which is required for a good root system so if you have no roots in what are you feeding?.............quite possibly foxes as has been mentioned.

The 'blood' is primarily nitrogen and a fast release one at that.

To put in too early again seems to me a waste, as it will quite possibly have dissipated before you have even planted your seedlings.

The bone is a slow release potash feed so it is not really required until the plant is maturing so again if it goes in too early it will all have gone by the time it is need.

I just thought this might give you some idea as to how FB&B works in case you did not know.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 21:52:05 »
thank you very much for the information knew i bought for a reason just didnt know the reason
thanks tee gee

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal