Author Topic: Using Glyphosate  (Read 2045 times)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
Using Glyphosate
« on: February 16, 2008, 17:14:05 »
Having suffered from an injury after Christmas my digger and deweeding program is way behind schedule.  The only way that I'm going to get all my currently chitting spuds in is by using weed killer and a rotivator as I'm still having trouble doing any manual work.

So, I bought some Glyphosate.  It says I can use it from the start of Feb.  I mixed it as suggested on the bottle and applied it to the area that it said it should cover.  I made sure that it was applied on a day with no rain.  This was a week ago and no sign of anything happening at all.  It's couch grass that I'm trying to get rid of.

Is it too early in the year to use it?  Does it just not work on couch grass?  Or am I expecting to see results too soon (it does say around 4 days on the bottle)? 

Your thoughts are appreciated.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Re: Using Glyphosate
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 17:20:05 »
Glyphosate is best used when the plants are activly growing. In the case of couch grass this can be from April onwards as couch is a herbaceuse perenial.

It normally take about 2-3 weeks to show signs of it working as it is a systemic weedkiller. If it has not worked wait until end of March - early April and re-apply.

Hope that helps.
The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 18:47:12 »
With the weather this cold, you shouldn't be seeing much/any effect yet... takes a week or two in summer... this might be controversial, but I wouldn't worry too much about planting spuds with couch there - they should shade it out nicely, just stay on top of it at the start to give them a fighting chance.
Once the spuds are dug, I would leave the ground for a month or so & spray off any remaining couch that pops up.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 23:04:41 »
I sprayed my couch grass at the end of last year, but it didn't kill the roots.
It has started to peek through again.  :(
The only way to get rid of it is to dig out every bit of the roots.
I am hoping to start digging it up again soon.

The areas I dug last year haven't had any growing back at all, apart from the edges.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 18:16:07 »
Si

I have never used it this early in the season, but if you sprayed green growth, something should be happening. 

The first time I used Roundup, the weeds seemed to grow even better but then after 2 weeks were looking very sad and then by week 3 were dead.

I had some couch grass, which was completely knocked back with one application.

Patience ;D

forestry.guy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 18:20:15 »
Hi

As  professional user of Round Up 1 of the key things it timing some weeds seem to take it in better later in there growing season.

the other thing is always follow the label dont be tempted in to adding a bit more for a quick kill, it can have a opposite effect as sends the target in to shock.

i will get a copy of the timing chart we use and post it soon

sawman
This is my first year with the allotment.

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 20:05:38 »
thanks for the info, I'll wait and hope!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal