Author Topic: Supermarket tomato seeds germinated  (Read 7710 times)

floraldi

• Half Acre
Supermarket tomato seeds germinated
« on: February 16, 2008, 17:35:36 »
After reading somewhere on here about saving seeds from tomatoes from the supermarket I thought I would try it.   I put a few on a piece of kitchen paper some months ago to make sure they would be dry. Last Sunday I sowed them and they have already germinated. They are the "on the vine type" that are usually the best you can buy in our supermarket.  Has anyone else tried this and were the tomatoes tasty?

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Re: Supermarket tomato seeds germinated
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 18:07:12 »
Most commercial tomatoes are grown hydroponicaly and are force fed nutrients to make them grow quicker and get a bigger crop. If you grow them yourself then you will may be have a nice crop with a lot more flavour. I have never tried a supermarket tomato as I do not know if it was a F! type the used. I suppose it is worth a go.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 19:24:48 »
I am having a go too, with the only tom with any taste at the moment,I am doing the soaking goo off in a jam jar method
oh how I know how to live! nothing to loose.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 20:46:05 »
Most certainly nothing to lose 8).....toms of a sort you'll certainly get & a lotov fun as well :).....if they come true to type, well....wait & see, eh? But toms they'll certainly be!....  Rover, I'm thinking that soaking off the goo's a stage you can miss?.....might be corrected, but I've gone the way of florald in the past & just dried stuff on kitchen paper, torn off a bit & 'planted' it & hey presto! it's worked....florald.....bit of a sales gimmick with 'on-the-vine' toms.....we could all pull off a bit of our plants & sell them like this.....??

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 20:58:15 »
Most tomato,s sold in shops are hybreds ( F1s) and not Heirloom, you will get Tomato,s but they wont be true to the fruit you got them from as they revert back to one of the bread they were crossed from.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 20:59:32 »
we've done it with lidl's long red peppers, they've come up, just for fun  ;D

annppayne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 21:12:50 »
Glad to hear your seeds have germinated.   

I tried baby plum tomatoes from the supermarket last year.   I grew them in a greenhouse - glad I did because the tomatoes on the allotment caught blight.   So they became my main source of tomatoes.

The baby plums in the greenhouse gave me a good, tasty crop - they were very fleshy with not many seeds.   They far exceeded my expectation.

So I will give them another go this year.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 21:38:40 »
We have saved seed of a particularly good home grown Brandywine tomato.  It is a heritage variety, so should come true to type.  Will let you know later in the year!!

We are also growing seeds of a variety called Jack Hawkins, which we bought from Waitrose last year.  Only time will tell.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!

valmarg

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 00:03:39 »
yep, i also dried some "Lucky Dip" tomato seeds with a nice flavour too !! im going to give them a go, in fact you reminded me to plant them so thanks xx

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 08:09:08 »
I've germinated some sweet pepper seeds from Sainsbury's. They germinated really well and look lovely seedings  :) . They are Ramirez - red pointy pepper and Orange Sweetbite - baby orange pepper. It will be interesting to see how they turn out!

barkingdog

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 08:53:27 »
my old dad successfully germinated some seeds from tinned toms, but have never tried it myself
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 17:05:26 »
Just acknowledging Alishka's comment re "on the vine".  I do realise of course that all the toms we grow were on a vine but we have been buying this type since the Autumn as they are the only ones with any taste. The cheaper watery ones are awful.  I love tomatoes.  It will be interesting to see what they are like...I do tend to get carried away when these little experiments succeed. It's great fun, gardening.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 20:49:05 »
My dad would collect seeds from tomatoes. Yellow and plum tomatoes appeared in one of the supermarkets and he saved the seeds from them. I think we only bought one packet of tomato seeds - Tigerella. I used to climb into the greenhouse jungle to pick the various tomatoes (my father didn't believe in pinching out the side shoots, hence the jungle). We had loadsa tomatoes. By the end of the season, I was sick of the sight of them!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 21:10:24 »
Not wanting to hijack or change this thread,  but just wanted to mention that I now have the bug for saving seeds and to "try and see".       I have saved the seeds from 5 scotch bonnets ( Strong Chillies ) that I grabbed from the market, actually an ethnic stall.   

I can report that Sb 1 thro 3 have thrown up 100% of germinated seeds I tried.   sb4 & 5 are no shows - for now.

I now look out for anything that could be "Saved", but realise all the correct arguments for coming true etc...

It is fun though !!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal